Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New King Of Sports Cameras - Canon EOS-1D X

Canon announced a new 1D pro DSLR tonight, the EOS-1D X, which merges the 1D and 1Ds lines into one, high-speed full-frame camera. It's got an 18-megapixel CMOS sensor, a 61-point AF system with 41 cross-type sensors, ISO 51,100 (expandable to 204,800), it can shoot full-res RAW bursts at 12 FPS and 14 FPS in a special JPEG-only mode.

Canon EOS-1D X Merges Speed, Image Quality and Video >>

I'm always looking for better continuous auto focus performance and it looks like the 1D X has it. Read my article for more details but the 61 points with 41 cross-type sensors alone is pretty awesome. I don't know how high the ISO is actually usable but the suggestion is it might be good up to the native ISO 51,100. That would be pretty sick for the kind of shooting I do - especially since I like using flash less and less.

Oh yeah - the price is supposed to be US $6800. So I probably won't be buying one. How about you?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: New King Of Sports Cameras - Canon EOS-1D X

The new king of sports cameras, with a very regal price. :frown2:

Nikon and Canon both are pricing the little guy out of the top end cameras. This sure does sound like a great new addition to the sports arena.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

This is a camera I really look forward to testing. But I don't see any way I'll be owning one. Besides the price, I have to keep giving myself my own advice - lenses are more important
    Photo-John

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I can convince myself I don't need one.
    Particularly now while I can't use my right hand.
    I can almost convince myself I don't want one.
    Because it´s not the camera, it´s the photographer, right?

But if Plowey gets a drive next year, and I get to opportunity to do some of his photography.
    Then I think I have to get a pair, and relegate the 1DmkIIN and 1DSmkII to backup bodies.

Yes, John, that would mean getting the new mkII 70-200 and mkIII extenders, and a new mid range zoom too.

All provided I can use this damaged hand by then.
    New Indy season starts in March, and the SuperKarts USA season finale is next month.
    Here´s hoping ...
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    But if Plowey gets a drive next year, and I get to opportunity to do some of his photography.
    Then I think I have to get a pair, and relegate the 1DmkIIN and 1DSmkII to backup bodies.

Yes, John, that would mean getting the new mkII 70-200 and mkIII extenders, and a new mid range zoom too.
    That will be one ridiculously awesome sports kit. And I will be jealous

By the way, I added a bit to the article about the lack of a tilt-swivel LCD display - thanks to your comments last night.

Good luck with the hand. Is it healing up well? My stupid sprained ankle is still not back to normal
    Photo-John

Even though I've upgraded to the latest and greatest three times now, I'll be passing. The 1D Mark IV more than gets the job done for me. I do look forward to reading more though!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Quote Originally Posted by groovehouse View Post
    The new king of sports cameras, with a very regal price. :frown2:
    You could be buying leica S2 glass for $6K a piece or the new 300 F2.8 II for $7k!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    You could be buying leica S2 glass for $6K a piece or the new 300 F2.8 II for $7k!!!!
    Good point about the 300mm f/2.8. What would offer more opportunity - new glass or new camera? For sports, sometimes the new camera with better AF and improved low light quality does make a difference. On the other hand, I've got plenty of lenses where I'm trying to cut corners. A 24-70mm f/2.8L will cost a lot less and probably do my photography more good than a new $7000 camera body. Plus, I'll keep the lens forever!
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Good point about the 300mm f/2.8. What would offer more opportunity - new glass or new camera? For sports, sometimes the new camera with better AF and improved low light quality does make a difference. On the other hand, I've got plenty of lenses where I'm trying to cut corners. A 24-70mm f/2.8L will cost a lot less and probably do my photography more good than a new $7000 camera body. Plus, I'll keep the lens forever!
    True yet what if this has a 2+ stop advantage over a D3s? Or I need a tax write off. Which I do not yet but hopefully will. Although I would prefer it be more along the Phase One IQ80 range than the 1D.....:idea:

Sorry for my ignorance, but I believe the 1DX only accepts Compact Flash (CF) cards and not SD. WHY????

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'll post a hand update in Viewfinder, John.

FWIW I decided once I'd bought them that the mkII bodies would have to serve me for years to come.
    My inheritances from my parents bought the 1DmkIIN (Mum) and 1DSmkII (Dad) and I planned to keep them. The problems of the mkIII made me skip that generation, the mkIV didn't have anything I needed so I skipped that, too.
    Which puts me in a good position to wait for the mkV unless I need new cameras, for example for night oval races.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by petereoin View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but I believe the 1DX only accepts Compact Flash (CF) cards and not SD. WHY????
    You are correct, Peter. I'm not 100% sure why they made that decision, especially since the 1D Mk IV has CF and SD slots. But personally, I don't like SD cards. I don't think they're built very well and I don't like how small they are. Is anyone else with me on that or am I in the minority?
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    Which puts me in a good position to wait for the mkV unless I need new cameras, for example for night oval races.
    From everything Canon says, the 1D X *is* the Mk V. The 1D X is replacing both the 1D and the 1Ds lines and they don't have any intention of making another plain 1D action camera. So you're just going to have to man up and buy a pair of 1D X bodies
    Photo-John

You are correct, Peter. I'm not 100% sure why they made that decision, especially since the 1D Mk IV has CF and SD slots. But personally, I don't like SD cards. I don't think they're built very well and I don't like how small they are. Is anyone else with me on that or am I in the minority?
    I only use CF cards, so the loss of sd wouldn't bother me in the least.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

From everything Canon says, the 1D X *is* the Mk V. The 1D X is replacing both the 1D and the 1Ds lines and they don't have any intention of making another plain 1D action camera. So you're just going to have to man up and buy a pair of 1D X bodies
    Think the gave up on large file Pro body because the Pentax 645D was within $1K of the 1Ds III list price? I dont want a 5D if I want high file sizes. I need my focal points and durability......:mad2:

Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    Think the gave up on large file Pro body because the Pentax 645D was within $1K of the 1Ds III list price?
    Not at all. They're letting go of the mindset that resolution is the be-all end-all of image quality. The idea is that 18-megapixels offers the best balance between speed and image quality - especially with increase pixel size. I still don't get the obsession with resolution. In my opinion, the only photographers who need that are large format landscape photographers - the guys who used to shoot 4x5 or 8x10 and print 50x60-inch prints. That's the only place I really see the benefits of really high resolution. For catalog work I don't see the point at all.
    Photo-John

agreed. thats a major reason im avoiding a d7000 and waiting for the d300 replacement.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Lustful specifications !

now .. Where the heck is Nikon with a new DSLR ?

Not at all. They're letting go of the mindset that resolution is the be-all end-all of image quality. The idea is that 18-megapixels offers the best balance between speed and image quality - especially with increase pixel size. I still don't get the obsession with resolution. In my opinion, the only photographers who need that are large format landscape photographers - the guys who used to shoot 4x5 or 8x10 and print 50x60-inch prints. That's the only place I really see the benefits of really high resolution. For catalog work I don't see the point at all.
    So if MClaren were to hire me to shoot their vehicle and pay me enough coin to say buy a house. I tell you what I sure as heck am not showing up with a 35mm 20MP camera. I am getting the 80MP PHASE ONE back then I can deliver a file to them that should be plenty big. But I shoot with a 17MP camera and there are a good number of times the cropped file is not big enough I want a 14" 300 DPI file at least. Just in case......

What is gonna pay more commercial shoots or news/journalist style shooting? The HIGH ISO is good but but having a big camera is sometimes needed. WHich is why I will either buy a Digi Back to use for big stuff or hope the new 3D Canon is bigger than say 36MP that Nikon is claiming.

The dual card system works for me, shoot jpeg to the SD card and RAW to the CF card.
    Jimmy B

Smile Re: New King Of Sports Cameras - Canon EOS-1D X

While at the Local Camera shop here in Vegas, I was told Nikon will be annoucing something 'New' this week, So maybe the D4 is ready (but I doubt it).
    As far as the Canon stuff, no thanks to their stuff.
    To each their own, Right ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
    The dual card system works for me, shoot jpeg to the SD card and RAW to the CF card.
    The new 1D X is Compact Flash only, Jimmy. That's two CF slots and no SD. You can still use the same strategy, though - just not with your SD cards
    Photo-John

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Looks like the 1D-X will turn off the AF if you are using a lens with an aperture smaller than f/5.6. Not a big deal for lenses in general, but could be an issue when using a TC with this body. The current 1D series cameras allow the use of the center AF point when using an f/4 lens and a 2x TC. This is something people have been dealing with on camera bodies other than the 1D series so it doesn't seem to be a big deal, just something new for the 1D users.

Canon 1D X Loses Autofocus When Max Aperture Smaller than f/5.6
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

The price will be high in the first year, but I think it will more reasonable later. I would like to test it, specially at the highest ISO values. I aspect a good quality image at 3200-6400 ISO at that price!
    My sport photography website: http://www.scattisportivi.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information