ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Couple night shots w/o tripod

I was coming back from shooting a beach scene and thought I would try a couple night shots. Just so happens I took my tripod out of the car this weekend to make room for festival pictures and equipment. Decided to try them hand held and this is what I got. These were taken with my Nikon D90 and Sigma 10-20mm lens, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Couple night shots w/o tripod-dsc_4372.jpg   Couple night shots w/o tripod-dsc_4405.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Couple night shots w/o tripod

Jeff,

I LIKE THEM, have you done any PP? Some small cropping might work slightly better, other than that they are very good.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Quote Originally Posted by w.slayman
    Jeff,

I LIKE THEM, have you done any PP? Some small cropping might work slightly better, other than that they are very good.
    No, I just re sized them so I could post them on the forum. I am not sure if these were the better ones or not but I wasn't in the mood to spend a lot of time messing with them tonight, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jeff,

For What Its Worth,

I think the angle of view is very good, the colors seem natural, and very vivid, focus and DOF are right on. I would just try a little light cropping on the right side of the first photo, to eliminate the building on the far right. On the second shot just a little cropping across the bottom.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

That D90 high iso capability is more impressive all the time.
    That Sigma doesn't have vr does it? 1/20 th and even 1/60th are pretty slow for such sharp shots
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Aw, you're killin me, Grandpaw. Here you get decent focus handheld AT NIGHT -- and I'm working hard to get it with a tripod and daylight!

One day I'm going to try this. I love the night shots, and yours are very nicely done!:thumbsup:

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    That D90 high iso capability is more impressive all the time.
    That Sigma doesn't have vr does it? 1/20 th and even 1/60th are pretty slow for such sharp shots
    Frog, the Sigma doesn't have VR or the equivalent it just has a steady hand shooting with it.
    Thanks to Bill, Frog and Paula for your comments. I have always liked available light, specialty the night shots, Jeff

Thread Information