ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Iso 6400

Iso 6400

Took this of my niece during a football game I was shooting. Done with the D700 at ISO 6400 -1/250- f2.8. Yes I still want a D3S.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iso 6400-dsc_4838-4-800.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Iso 6400

Very nice! The highest I have tried with my D90 is 3200. I guess it is time to bump it up a bit to see what it can do, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very nice image... done by you Old Timer... The light and the show are excellent executed… everything work an excellent shot…6400 Wow It seems too me very clean image... Do you clean it?
    Some like to criticize and accept criticism… Some like to criticize but don’t like to be criticized...

I was shooting on field action at ISO 6400 when the Homecoming court started to line up on the track just before halftime. My niece was a candidate and when I looked around she was focused on watching the game and I grabbed a couple of quick shoots using my on field settings. I was very pleased with the results but a little noise in the shadow area of the cheek convinced me to use a bit of Neat Image to clean it up.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I WANT MORE TOYS!

Beautiful shot, OT. I'm partial to natural portraits when the subject isn't looking.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Very clean image, OT.

Say, do you mind if others jump in this thread with their ISO 6400 images? I'd love to see how different models perform at the same (high) ISO value.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Terrific shot, Old Timer. Nikon has Canon on the ropes as regards high ISO. It's like Drago vs. Creed. If I had the money to absorb losses, I'd be switching to Nikon.

I want a D3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Took this of my niece during a football game I was shooting. Done with the D700 at ISO 6400 -1/250- f2.8.
    Very nice indeed!
    -Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Very clean image, OT.

Say, do you mind if others jump in this thread with their ISO 6400 images? I'd love to see how different models perform at the same (high) ISO value.

I hope other will join in I'd love to see how other cameras perform at ISO 6400.

Nikon Samurai #13

Feel free to add you ISO 6400 pics to this thread. I'd love to see how your camera is performing. Be sure and give us the exif info.

Here are two more from the same night of the on field action. The first was run through Neat Image and was shot at 1/500 -f2.8 the second was at 1/250 at f2.8 and has had not NI applied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iso 6400-dsc_4670-2-800.jpg   Iso 6400-dsc_4762-2-800.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

drg

I made a couple of other comments in the gallery too! This is a very nice shot.

This past summer we found that the 'tinge' I mentioned starts to diminish a lot with a smaller aperture, dependent upon the lens. I was working with/for another photographer doing their technical work including calibrations and printer setups and both the D3 and D700 under certain circumstances would display a definite color cast above 1600 ISO. Color Matrix Metering seems to help in getting the exposure in the right range over and above just what the histogram tells you. If you are going to use Center Weighted metering the area of the Center Weight often needs to be expanded or it may grab an unexpected range and then the exposure will be off just enough that the high ISO problems will come back. A real balancing act.

The other thing that seemed to help ( and this was entirely dependent on the lens ) was to bump up the EV in Aperture priority mode by at least 1/2 which of course will drop the shutter slightly as well.

On the occasion where we could get a decent Custom WB this problem disappeared! However shooting a target or using a cap at the appropriate low light level is not consistent, even on a tripod.

The other 'trick' was to use a bit of gel (very pale yellow or gold) on the speedlight at its minimum setting to fill out the color. Again different lenses had some different characteristics to get the best color rendition.

I seriously considering adding one of these new 12 MP FF cameras to the arsenal. I've repeatedly said for quite a while now, here at PR that the D700 is my favorite new camera for some time.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Some great info C.D. ! Thanks for your insight.

Nikon Samurai #13

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Three from the E-P1.

The out of focus roses pattern on the wallpaper might appear like sensor noise due to the jpg compression.
    It was my grandmother's choice and I haven't redecorated in the 25 years I've lived here, it's not broke, why change it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iso 6400-_8010012.jpg   Iso 6400-_8010014.jpg   Iso 6400-_8010011.jpg  
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I only have one shot at 6400 with the Canon 50D. But I know the Canon isn't going to compare to the Nikon CMOS. I'll have to try to shoot some more at 6400 to see how usable they can be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iso 6400-football-iso-6400-2548.jpg  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information