ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll

12 63.16%

7 36.84%

Which do you prefer?

Please do not give reasons. All I want to know is which do you prefer: #1, or #2?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which do you prefer?-img_6822.jpg   Which do you prefer?-img_68226.jpg  
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: Which do you prefer?

Almo, I voted for number one but asking us to choose and not knowing the reason, to me, doesn't seem like you will learn anything or get anything accomplished unless you are just asking to help settle an argument about which one is better, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Almo, I voted for number one but asking us to choose and not knowing the reason, to me, doesn't seem like you will learn anything or get anything accomplished unless you are just asking to help settle an argument about which one is better, Jeff
    Well... I suppose you're right. I was not looking for crits because I was not ready to hear any. The argument is with myself, and I can see the answer I was looking to get already. So, might as well start learning something at this point.

Go on an give opinions.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

i can't vote until i know what the photo will be used for, what its purpose is.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    i can't vote until i know what the photo will be used for, what its purpose is.
    There is no particular purpose Dylan. I just want to know which one is considered better. The image itself is not important.

I guess I should just come out and say it. I am calabrating my monitor and I want to know if the image I corrected myself looks better than the one I used the auto features for in Photoshop is better.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

the bottom ones colors look much truer to me. the whites on the animal itself look good.

the whole top photo is much warmer, with the background felling more inviting than the bottom one.

so in that case i voted #2.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

John,
    The one we prefer vs the one that will calibrate your monitor may be two different white balances all together. I like the warm one, but I think most will prefer the warm one(as the poll is bearing out). I think actual colors may be something in between the two.

I haven't calibrated my monitor except to check the gamma on it using Norman Koren's site. What I see on my monitor looks good to my eye, and my printer produces the same output. It must be close, I want to get a spyder or something, but I just can't seem to get around the cost vs buying a new piece of equipment for my bag.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Almo, how are you Mate? ... I hope that you are well.

I wanted to vote but I unfortunately prefer neither image. ... because I would prefer to see a Bambi that would be in the middle of the duo.

Going to CC corrections;

Top Bambi -20Y + -30R and for the bottom Bambi, -30C + -5G.

That's the Bambi that I'd prefer.

Warren.

Number 2
    Jimmy B

Almo, as others have said, what our eyes prefer doesn't = color accuracy. I tend to agree with Warren and a few others - neither looks exactly right to me in terms of truly neutral white balance. The top one is very warm, and the bottom one looks just a bit too cool, as the shadows seem to have a slight blue/green shift. So I'd say warming up the bottom shot by ~200k should be right on, for my eye.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Here is my final version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which do you prefer?-img_6822.jpg  
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information