Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

San Diego Trolley

San Diego's "light rail."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails San Diego Trolley-9935pr.jpg  
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

MB1

Re: San Diego Trolley

#1 It looks slightly tilted to the left because of the poles on the right.

#2 It doesn't say "San Diego" to me.

#3 Cool capture.
    No, I DON'T need that.

MB:

1. Good catch.
    2. You are right,could be any major city.
    3. Thanks.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

MB1

Actually it reminds me of Baltimore.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Question.

How does one go about setting up a shot like this? How or where do you get the camera focused in such a low light setting (I am assuming you set up your shot first waiting for the train to come?). Did you use flash or is that just light from the train itself?

Thanks for any help!
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

I like it but the first thing I saw was the lean. Great capture CF.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I like the exposure of this shot a lot. Well done!
    yoyo

What a great shot!

I really like the colour of the light train, looks fantastic! Exposure looks pretty good too.
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Thanks everyone for leaving your comments. It really helps to get feedback. I will fix the lean, gosh darn it anyway; don't you hate it when the simple things ruin a shot???

As for the set up, yes, I was set up waiting for the train. The lean is attributable to getting my finger pinched in the hinge of the tripod leg as I was leveling the setup. It took a few minutes to get the bleeding to stop and by that time, had to hurry to finish the setup as the train was coming. Regardless, there was no flash used on this shot, although I did try that with later shots and did not care for the result as much. This shot was taken with ISO 200; 1/8 second; f9.0; I wanted the buildings in focus as well as the train.

At 1/8, timing is everything to get as much of the train as possible to fill the frame.

Thanks again for the comments.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

I love this shot, I would frame it. I keep a very small first aid kit I found at target for $1.00 in my camera bag lol it has just enough in it to stop the bleeding and it nylon so it fits anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    Thanks everyone for leaving your comments. It really helps to get feedback. I will fix the lean, gosh darn it anyway; don't you hate it when the simple things ruin a shot???

As for the set up, yes, I was set up waiting for the train. The lean is attributable to getting my finger pinched in the hinge of the tripod leg as I was leveling the setup. It took a few minutes to get the bleeding to stop and by that time, had to hurry to finish the setup as the train was coming. Regardless, there was no flash used on this shot, although I did try that with later shots and did not care for the result as much. This shot was taken with ISO 200; 1/8 second; f9.0; I wanted the buildings in focus as well as the train.

At 1/8, timing is everything to get as much of the train as possible to fill the frame.

Thanks again for the comments.

CF
    Hi CF,

thanks for the reply. One more question, where was your focus point in the frame? Since the train was moving, I would think that your focus point would wander and therefore cause the rest of the frame to be out of focus. Is that correct? Or did you focus it manually?

Thanks for any help, just trying to learn and understand how to get the image you want in low light situations like this.

Jared
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

Jared,

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about focus point. I focused on the buildings in the background. As the train would be moving, I was not as concerned about keeping it in focus. However, I did want to keep everything in focus so I used a higher f-stop for greater depth of field.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Very nicely composed and I think your timing is spot on resulting in a high impact result, great stuff.

Herriot:

Thanks very much for the comments. It took a few passes of previous trains to get the timing. Of course, we don't talk about the shots that get tossed. Only the shots that actually work out. It was fun to play around with and massed much curiosity from passers-by.

Thanks again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Thanks very much. I have fixed the tilt, it really helps. I would re-post but don't know how to post on an existing thread. I guess you will have to take my word for it.

Thanks again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

The exposure is spot on and it is a well focused and clean. The lean can be sorted out no problem but I honestly feel a bit of human presence or activity would make a very good shot even better.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

I love this shot. You can make an account on PhotoBucket or something like that and upload pictures that way, and just copy/paste the one in the [img] brackets or whatever.

Gerald,

Thanks for the tip on Photo Bucket. My fear of having an account such as that is the ability for viewers to download the images. I know some accounts say the image is protected, but you show me a protected image on the computer and I will give you a teenager who can crack into the protection. My own paranoia I suppose! I need to either get over it or just enjoy having photos on-line. Regardless, thanks again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Very well done, CF. Well planned. A little bloodshed is good for the story behind the shot as well. . . :thumbsup:
    Last edited by gahspidy; 06-23-2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured photo. June, 23, 2008
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Good one, CF. Well deserved.
    John
    PLEASE ASK BEFORE MAKING ANY EDITS. THANK YOU.

If I care enough to leave a critique or comment on your work, please return the favor.

My Aviation photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/addiesgranddaddy

Everything else:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9367218@N03/

Granddaddy/Gary:

This is indeed an honor and appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

CF (David)
    Coastal Flyer

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I didn't critique it because you got everything and more than I could have said except for the parts that say, "Great Shot!"
    Congrats on the sticky....I know it sure ticled me when I got one.

btw....to post a pic in a reply, click the go advanced button and it will bring you up the same format as a new post.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Frog,

I certainly understand and appreciate your input at anytime. Thanks also for the directions in how to upload additional photos into an existing thread.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

I would like to say that this shot just fascinates me and it keeps popping up in my brain. It is kinda like going to Disney World and coming out of "It's a Small World" and trying to forget the song that was playing while on the ride, my brain just keeps playing it over and over. I really like this photo, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Grandpaw,

I will take your reference to "It's A Small World" as a compliment as I fully understand the context of your comment; however, I loathe that song for exactly that reason. There is something about this shot that I really like also, but cannot figure out why. There is nothing to it, but it just says something. I truly appreciate the comment. Thanks so much.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information