Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Nikon Coolpix P3 or P1??

i just wanted to whether i should buy the Nikon Coolpix P3 or the P1... and if u could tell me the major differences between the two. budget is not the problem.. i would appreciate all the help.

thank u

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Nikon Coolpix P3 or P1??

Hi phreaker...It's hard to recommend a camera unless we know what it is you plan to use it for. Although budget is no problem, have you consider a DSLR or are you set on using a point and shoot. I went to the Nikon site and am posting a link that compares all of the Coolpix cameras, including the P1, 2, 3 and 4. The 3 and 4 are both new. You'll need adobe reader to view the file as it is in .pdf format. Here is the link to the comparison chart http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/...pixCompare.pdf

If you need adobe reader...just go to www.adobe.com . You can download the reader for free.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Why are you looking at those two cameras? Do you want the WiFi feature? If so, I think I'd either steer you away from the wireless cameras or point you toward the Canon PowerShot SD430, which offers wireless remote capture. Wireless remote capture allows you to control the camera from a computer so that you can take pictures remotely. I also offers the same wireless functionality as the Nikons. If you really want to go Nikon, I'd take a look at the new S6. It's very compact and offers Nikon's VR (Vibration Reduction), as well as all the wireless functionality of the P1 and P3.

If there are other reasons you're looking at the P1 and P3, please let us know so we can give you better advice.
    Photo-John

but isnt the S6 only 5 MP and the Canon SD430 is also 5 MP...

Resolution

Quote Originally Posted by phreaker18
    but isnt the S6 only 5 MP and the Canon SD430 is also 5 MP...
    See - you already know more than me

You didn't say that resolution was your main criteria. For most people, any camera with 4-megapixels of resolution will do the job. You can easily enlarge to 8x10 or even 11x14 with a four or five-megapixel camera. What you need to consider is whether the other camera features will help you get better photos. In this case, if you can get a camera with a VR lens, I think it will make a big difference in image quality - bigger than more resolution. Image stabilization, or "VR", as Nikon calls it, is invaluable in helping get good photos in poor lighting conditions. More resolution won't make any difference when it comes to the problem of camera shake.

Hold on! Hold on!

I just checked the Coolpix P3 press release and it has VR, too. So even though my little resolution spiel is all true, it looks like you can have it all. Get the P3 and you'll get 8-megapixels and VR
    Photo-John

thank u very much John

Thread Information