Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Biggest print with D70s?

About 5 minutes ago I just ordered a 16 x 20 from shutterfly. Its already a done deal so well see how the quality is once it hits the doorstep. Anybody else do any big prints with their D70?

Thanks

Re: Biggest print with D70s?

I've done 8x12 absolutely beautiful. The D70s is supposed to be able to go up to something like 20x30 on the finest settings. So I'm sure your 16x20 will look great.

I've been very happy with the 16x24's printed from my Fuji S2, which is also a 6mp DSLR.

ok great guys i'm really excited now to see how it comes out. Its gonna be a present for my dad and it was taken of a nice car that he just loves that he just bought.
    Thanks

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I actually haven't done any big prints from Shutterfly yet, but I did a 16x20 (I think it was 16x20) shot with a D1 (2.7 megapixels) and it came out great, so you should have no problem blowing up a 6 megapixel shot.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

most important to increasing shots that large isnt neccesarily megapixel but the accuracy of the focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    most important to increasing shots that large isnt neccesarily megapixel but the accuracy of the focus.
    I don't have much experience working with cameras but I'm going to have to agree here. Actually, the bigger the print, the more important all of the technical details are. Camera shake, missed focus, noise from lightening an underexposed image - they'll all be magnified with a bigger print.

I say this because, like I said, I'm quite happy with 6mp 16x24 prints, and fairly happy with the one 24x36 that I did but wish I would have done it with a better lens to rule out that possibility...

If you follow the "rules", then you can only print about 10" x 6.67" because that's 300dpi. With a good capture and good post processing, you'll be fine in real life. 16x24 is over twice the size of this.

Thanks a lot for the tips. I think I am good to go from what you guys said as it was at ISO 200, and I can't see any blur at 1/100. Plus I underexposed this shot a lot in photoshop so there won't be that much noise. here is a picture of what I ordered to be printed.

Cool shot, let us know how it looks when you get it!

One thing, Mpix.com has Kodak Metallic paper. I think a shot like this would about jump off the wall on Metallic. You can order free samples of it from them, but the samples are (or at least "were") children's portraits. Not really the right subject for that paper - but this one is!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'm with Steve on this one. Metallic paper would be a great choice for this image. I too have made a 16x24 print from a 6mp camera and I love it. It made me want to see just how much bigger I could go.

One thing to watch out for with larger prints is dust. You might not see it on your computer, but you will when you blow it up. It sounds like you zoomed in and checked the image over pretty good so I don't imagine you would have any issues with that on this image. Just something to watch out for next time. I know I will.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Using my D70, I got this print at 20x24 from Mpix (metallic); the customer was pleased enough that they ordered 3 more copies for Christmas presents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biggest print with D70s?-20x24-dsc_2171.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    One thing to watch out for with larger prints is dust. You might not see it on your computer, but you will when you blow it up. It sounds like you zoomed in and checked the image over pretty good so I don't imagine you would have any issues with that on this image. Just something to watch out for next time. I know I will.
    You probably learned this the same way I did...

On a print this big, I usually go over the whole thing at about 2-300% to be sure. It doesn't take very long - just increase the size and start at one of the corners. Use the sliders at the bottom and right side of the image to scroll across it. I usually start at the top left, scan all the way to the right, then drop down trying to overlap a little bit to make sure I don't miss anything.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    You probably learned this the same way I did...

On a print this big, I usually go over the whole thing at about 2-300% to be sure. It doesn't take very long - just increase the size and start at one of the corners. Use the sliders at the bottom and right side of the image to scroll across it. I usually start at the top left, scan all the way to the right, then drop down trying to overlap a little bit to make sure I don't miss anything.
    I regulary print 11 x 14 prints from my D70 or D50, taken in JPG/large/fine and they rock. I like to use Adorama for these. I did a 20 x 30 poster that was a composite of a few photos at MPIX and it was good. I'd be a little skeptical of Shuttefly based on the 4x6 prints I'v gotten from them. I interested to hear what you think when you get it.

My experience with the 20 x 30 parallels yours, AV. There were blemishes in the background that were not visible on screen at the size I was viewing. Next time, I would look very carefully.

Thread Information