Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Need Advice?????

I shot an event last night in Raw (NEF format) I have done this many time with the D7000. I have always used Sandisk memory cards and had no problem processing in ACR and Photoshop. However last night I used a different brand of memory card and the images will not load into ARC or Photoshop. I am getting a message that they do not support this camera. The D7000 is on CS5's list and I have done it before with other card. Any Idea how I can retrieve and process these images?
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Need Advice?????

I also have a D7000 and mine works fine. I can't think of a reason for the problem. Have you done the old stand by and reboot your computer? Also have you tried one of the Sandisk cards to see if it still works? Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes and Yes Jeff. I also tried to open the files in Lightroom and got the same message. I the files are defiantly on the disk and can be read in the camera and I tried plugging the camera up to the computer and downloading them that way as opposed to the card reader I was using. Same results.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

You can always download Adobe's DNG converter, and use that format. You'll lose the Nikon proprietary color info, but I don't think ACR uses that info, so you shouldn't see any difference.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

If you cannot simply transfer them to your PC using your operating system, something is wrong with the files and/or card. Try using the USB port on the camera. If that doesn't work, try using the file recovery software that came with the Sandisk. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Medley View Post
    You can always download Adobe's DNG converter, and use that format. You'll lose the Nikon proprietary color info, but I don't think ACR uses that info, so you shouldn't see any difference.
    May give that a try tonight. Thanks.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    If you cannot simply transfer them to your PC using your operating system, something is wrong with the files and/or card. Try using the USB port on the camera. If that doesn't work, try using the file recovery software that came with the Sandisk. - Terry
    Tried USB from the camera same results. (All the pics show up on the computer but will not open in Adobe software.) Not Sandisk Terry that seems to be the problem. I don't seem to have anyproblems with my Sandisk files. Wonder if their recovery software will work with a third party disk?

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Tried USB from the camera same results. (All the pics show up on the computer but will not open in Adobe software.) Not Sandisk Terry that seems to be the problem. I don't seem to have anyproblems with my Sandisk files. Wonder if their recovery software will work with a third party disk?
    The Sandisk software should work on any card if the card is the problem.

Can you take a jpg with the camera, transfer it and open it in any software?

Adobe is transfering the RAW files to the hard drive and just not opening them, correct? Is the file extension (.nef?) any different on these than your old ones? Are you using a different hard drive?

A RAW converter of some sort comes with the Nikon, correct? Will it open the files?

Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

The Sandisk software should work on any card if the card is the problem.

Can you take a jpg with the camera, transfer it and open it in any software?

(jpg files open with not problem on the same card.)

Adobe is transfering the RAW files to the hard drive and just not opening them, correct? Is the file extension (.nef?) any different on these than your old ones? Are you using a different hard drive?

A RAW converter of some sort comes with the Nikon, correct? Will it open the files?

Terry
    All good questions that I need to find the ansers to. Thanks Terry, I've got another to games to shoot tonight. I might be up late trying to get this matter resolved. I'll let you know.

Nikon Samurai #13

Solved part of my problem when I installed the Nikon software (NX2) that came with the camera. I can now at least open my images. Got a real mess with workflow haven't got that ironed out.

Nikon Samurai #13

I'm mystified by how this can be different based on which card is used. I can see the PC not being able to read the RAW files, and that would be fixed by installing the Nikon software.

I can't see how you can read from one card and not from another, though.

Solved part of my problem when I installed the Nikon software (NX2) that came with the camera. I can now at least open my images. Got a real mess with workflow haven't got that ironed out.
    This sounds more like a LR/ACR version problem. What camera and what versions? - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

This sounds more like a LR/ACR version problem. What camera and what versions? - Terry
    The D7000 and I believe it was 6.0 version and it is suppose to support the D7000 and it did three days ago but refused to yesterday when I used an of brand memory card. Now it will not recognize raw files on any card. I tried LR3 also and got the same results. I was able to open the files with the Nikon software last night, but I'm not familiar with it and have been falling all over myself trying to convert and get them back into Adobe BR.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    I'm mystified by how this can be different based on which card is used. I can see the PC not being able to read the RAW files, and that would be fixed by installing the Nikon software.

I can't see how you can read from one card and not from another, though.
    I'm a long way from technically brilliant, but that is what happened originally although it now appears that it will not read either brand card.

Nikon Samurai #13

The D7000 and I believe it was 6.0 version and it is suppose to support the D7000 and it did three days ago but refused to yesterday when I used an of brand memory card. Now it will not recognize raw files on any card. I tried LR3 also and got the same results. I was able to open the files with the Nikon software last night, but I'm not familiar with it and have been falling all over myself trying to convert and get them back into Adobe BR.
    I believe you need ACR v6.3 and LR v3.3 to support the D7000 RAW files. Maybe you reverted back to older versions on your PC somehow??? - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Thread Information