Photography As Art Forum

This forum is for artists who use a camera to express themselves. If your primary concern is meaning and symbolism in photography, then you've come to the right place. Please respect other community members and their opinions when discussing the meaning of "art" or meaning in images. If you'd like to discuss one of your photos, please upload it to the photo gallery, and include a link to that gallery page in your post. Moderators: Irakly Shanidze, Megan, Asylum Steve
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Does a photo need to say something?

In my own opinion, I think it would be more attractive if a photo is conveying something to your prospected client or critiques. that would add up more spice to your art works.
    “Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.”

A lens is for life. Eleanor Maw's Avatar

As long as a photo is enjoyable or interesting it does not have to say something, just make sure it is a quality photo, only show your best work unless you are demonstrating what went wrong with a photo you took and want some advice.

I think that photography as art (like any kind of art) should put questions, but not give answers to them leaving a space for thinking. that's real art to me

This photography is photography to the scene exploded, forcing the artists out of their comfort zone. In response, many artists began to work more exotic "impressionist" and later in the "abstract" - part of the response to the camera's perception, to help create more realistic looking paintings painter, said many things to understand.

Second Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikee View Post
    I think that photography as art (like any kind of art) should put questions, but not give answers to them leaving a space for thinking. that's real art to me
    I do agree with the bigmikee..... The art needs to have continuous learning to make your skills polished and keep your edge sharpen.

download for Wii points generator please?

Hey guys,
    I have a roomie who sent a Wii points generator to me yesterday, but some reasons all the codes are expired, first off, is it legal to useit?
    sorry if "Help Files" ain't the right place to ask for this, i'm new to this nice community

From my point of view, a photo has to say something for the one looking at it or the one taking it.
    I would call it engagement. When a photo doesn't say anything to me, usually I don't like it.

yes! a photo most definitely should say something. I just haven't figured out what.

Greg

Photos will always have a meaning to someone. While often people don't agree on the meaning and the original photographer didn't mean for it to come across that way, as long as the message isn't inappropriate, I think people should accept it.
    .. and that sounds like a load of crap. Umm. Lemme start again.

A photo doesn't have to have meaning behind it, but usually people will place significance on it anyway. (Especially if they're an English teacher and you're doing film studies. I'm sure that the director didn't mean that.. aww, c'mon, now you're just ********ting...)

Photos definitely should have a message to communicate to the viewer...

Definitely i agree....My eyes always told my brain...What i took says.
    wedding photography
    casual and laid back, just how it should be a
    Wedding photographer

I've put a lot of thought into this subject.The value of a photo or photo quest is in what is not said or experienced. We are surrounded by beauty and wonder , even in the ugliest and harshest environments.I find that as I go through life I am constantly experiencing sensory overload. Even while escaping to the mountains my senses are responding to billions of stimuli. The photo and the photo quest give me an opportunity to shut out the overwhelming noise and dwell solely upon either the finished photo or the photo awaiting capture. The chief attribute of a good photo is its ability to speak so loudly that , for a moment, you can't hear anything else.

yes,Only a photo is called a photo if it is a giving a message...a photo makes ur past full of life...So it do need to say something

For me, photographs are a way to share the experience, usually the experience of encounters with wildlife. Each one is a thrill for me, and through sharing my photos I can relive that excitement. But I also enjoy capturing and viewing images that tell stories.
    To answer the original question, I don't think photos need to say anything, but for both photographer and viewer, the experience is deeper and richer when they do. However, unless the image is contrived to express a particular message, I think it is seldom part of the initial creation process, at least for me. Rather it's something that comes afterwards with consideration of the result. The world is full of symbols and with a little imagination, hidden meaning can be project onto almost any image.

Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whether I'm shooting sports, a wedding or portraits, for me, it's all about the face and their expressions.
    IMO, expressions are worth a thousands words so if somebody asked me "what am I trying to say with this photo?" I'd simply reply, "look at the face and you tell me".
    __________________________________________________ _______
    Chuck Dee - AKA Chris
    "A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -Ansel Adams
    www.bellissimofoto.com
    www.rhinobldg.com

A picture is a picture. A picture is art when some one likes it. Tho the person who took the picture will always think its art. Lets face most art didn't get to be art untill the person who made the art died then it was art
    Nikon D7000
    Nikon D60
    Nikkor 18 - 200mm VR f 3.5 - 5.6G
    Nikkor 50mm f 1.4G
    Nikkor 18 - 120mm VR Kit Lens

Quote Originally Posted by SkipT View Post
    A picture is a picture. A picture is art when some one likes it. Tho the person who took the picture will always think its art. Lets face most art didn't get to be art untill the person who made the art died then it was art
    I totally agree with this statement. There is some fashion photography out there that while I find it beautiful, it doesn't really seem to be very deep or thoughtful, but others regard it as the most talented and beautiful work of photographic art. It is definitely subjective. I think as long as someone thinks when they see your work, has an emotional or logical response, this is what makes photography special, the fact that it can connect people removed by miles, culture and even time, not it's potential in the 'art' world.

Every photo says something. What it says makes it how good it is.

Seriously, for many even their text doesn't say anything, so why should their photos?

I would think that most art never got to be art ever. Period.

When I die, my instagram will be be famous. All those photos of food

You don't have to say something but people should feel something when they see your photographs

Art is subjective anyway

I don't think that that the photo needs to say something. It only have to be nice for the eye.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information