Photo Project Forum

A monthly, community-driven photography assignment. This forum is moderated by Didache and Frog.

Photo Project Gallery >>

Featured Photo
Photo by Tyson L. Sparks

by Tyson L. Sparks
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OCTOBER Photo Project: "The Night"

Ok,

It's finally that time again!!! It's the PHOTO PROJECT!

This month we are doing "The Night"

You will be able to post you images here and in the Gallery. I would like to see the project blossom and really thrive this time, so let's make sure that we post images in both locations to get the discussion going, and hopefully keep it going strong!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: OCTOBER Photo Project: "The Night"

Ok...I'm really nervous about this because there are a lot of flaws in this photo and the ones I will be posting over the next few days, as I get time to work with them. This is a learning experience for me.

I call this series... "Nebular Moon" ... because they remind me of many of the shots I used to see when I took astronomy in college and also when I get on the astronomy and NASA sites.

They are an attempt to photograph the clouds moving across and around the moon. Camera is a Kodak DX 4330 p/s. I was using the "night" setting with fill flash and approx. 8-10x digital zoom, so there is quite abit of digital noise. I was using a 10 sec. delay so my camera and tripod wouldn't wiggle, hehe.

The moon is really washed out, but the clouds around it, I thought, were awesome. I hope you enjoy my learning experience.
    Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OCTOBER Photo Project: "The Night"-nebular-moon-1-framedpr.jpg  
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I like the clouds too Ken! I'm glad you posted this because I was going to check to see what this months project was all weekend and I just kept forgeting to. I took a few moon shots this weekend myself. I'll have to post some when I get home.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

At the Edge of Night

Ok. I'm going to be a lazy butt and post a recent submission to photo critique.

Almo, is there any rules to the number of submissions? I suggest limiting folks to one or two (but am open). If this thing gets popular, we will not get submission overload. Maybe for now, it's ok to submit multiples...

Thanks for hosting this,
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OCTOBER Photo Project: "The Night"-dsc_8062cannonbeach050925_small.jpg  
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: At the Edge of Night

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    Almo, is there any rules to the number of submissions? I suggest limiting folks to one or two (but am open). If this thing gets popular, we will not get submission overload. Maybe for now, it's ok to submit multiples...

Thanks for hosting this,
    Tim
    In the future, if this takes off like I'm hoping it will...I support the limiting of posts, which we could discuss at a later time, but agree with OS that for now, lets leave the number open to get people excited...that reminds me...there's a large full moon out my window right now...gonna go try to get a good shot with my p/s...hehehe...
    Ken
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Blue Moon

Not quite a full moon. I change the white balance to tungsten to get the blue look.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Blue Moon

OS...in my book, you can never go wrong with a sunset and surf...hehe..beautiful colors, great silouhette, simply awesome...

Michael, I wish my moons came out that good...one of these days...hehe...I love the tungsten glow...

Looking for more people to post some night pictures...lets get this thread busy!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Ok. I'm going to be a lazy butt and post a recent submission to photo critique.

Thanks for hosting this,
    Tim

Nice sunset Tim. I'm not trally sure it fits the theme, but what the heck. It's nice.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

No limits on posts. Not yet anyway. I suppose if it gets to the point where we would need to do that then we would. All I really ask is that if you post an image, then please make a comment as well.

Thanks!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

The Three Sisters

Sigh.... Ok. Got to follow the theme better.

Actually, I was thinking of posting this one in photo critique. It was fun to shoot, but I'm not sure I like the results. This was shot after dusk in Canmore/Alberta.

BR,
    Tim

p.s. Dig the moon shots. What was the set-up for that blue one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OCTOBER Photo Project: "The Night"-dsc_7421canadianrockies_small.jpg  
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: The Three Sisters

OS...very nice...the mountains almost look like an art project where they were cut out of black construction paper, and the single star in the blue sky is very clean and the contast between the very clean blue and the cluttered lights of the city separated by the stark blackness of the mountains gives this a very intersting feel. I like it.
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

An abandoned farm, Kodak Max 400 film, X-7A with a Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 lens and a Vivtar 283 Flash.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Re: The Three Sisters

Thanks Ken...
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Blue Moon Info

OS,

The blue moon was shot with Canon DRebel, Sigma 170-500mm, set at 500mm, on a tripod. ISO 100 1/30 sec @ f/8. I used a caple release to trip the shutter. I changed the white balance to tungsten to get the blue look.

Here is a shot of the full moon from last night. This was taken with the same camera and lens combo, with the addition of a 2x teleconverter. ISO 100, 1/50 sec @ f/9, white balance set to cloudy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OCTOBER Photo Project: "The Night"-crw_7762.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Re: Blue Moon Info

That's a very nice moon shot. How sharp is the original size? With the 500 2x did the moon fill most of the frame?

Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Axle,
    That's an interesting night shot, but I think it suffers from flash fall off. This is not the photo critique board, but I do have a suggestion for you. Put your camera on a tripod; lock your shutter open (set it to a long time) and then walk around with your flash illuminating various parts of the scene. You have a great location there, and I think a shot like that would be killer.
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Axle,
    That's an interesting night shot, but I think it suffers from flash fall off. This is not the photo critique board, but I do have a suggestion for you. Put your camera on a tripod; lock your shutter open (set it to a long time) and then walk around with your flash illuminating various parts of the scene. You have a great location there, and I think a shot like that would be killer.
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Thanks for the idea, I may have to go back and do that. I think I know how to lock my shutter open, with a stand off cable....and the camera on the "B" setting
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Pentax Forum Moderator

Axle,
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Wow Tim...It's suggestions like yours that makes me love this site so much. I would never have thought of doing something like this, but it is something I will definitely keep in mind when I get something other than a p/s. Awesome idea!!!! Thanx for sharing it with not only Axle, but all of us!!!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

"Moon Over Seattle"

I'm posting this per recommendation from the Photo Critique forum. Some very nice shots posted here!

Regards,

Erich

Super nice.....
    Samurai #17 |;^\

That's a very nice moon shot. How sharp is the original size? With the 500 2x did the moon fill most of the frame?

Cheers,
    Tim

Tim, the original is not very sharp at all. The 2X TC I have is a Quantary, from Ritz, and the softening from it is quite noticeable. It does get things closer tho, so you don't have to crop as much. A much better quality TC is on my wish list... Even with the 2X, it's still not enuf to fill the frame and some cropping is needed. I can post the original when I get home so you can see just how much cropping I did.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Gallery Added

The Night Project gallery has been added:

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...=542&password=

Thanks for taking charge of this, almo. It was a wonderful part of the site back when I had time to give it the attention it needed. I'm excited to have someone who can drive it again.
    Photo-John

Re: Gallery Added

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    The Night Project gallery has been added:

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...=542&password=

Thanks for taking charge of this, almo. It was a wonderful part of the site back when I had time to give it the attention it needed. I'm excited to have someone who can drive it again.

Thanks Johnny Be Bad!!!!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Ok, I guess it's high time I contributed to this. just to show my distaste for posting limits i am adding 2 images. And I have plans for at least one more. So there!

This is a zoom effect of the Heart bridge spanning the St. Johns River in Downtown Jacksonvile Florida...

This is a long exposure of the pier at Jacksonville Florida...
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Cheers,
    Tim

Tim,

Here is the full frame version with the 2x TC.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information