Photo Project Forum

A monthly, community-driven photography assignment. This forum is moderated by Didache and Frog.

Photo Project Gallery >>

Featured Photo
Photo by Tyson L. Sparks

by Tyson L. Sparks
Featured Photo Archive >>
    elmo

night time assignment

So, I have a photo assignment that our photo teacher gave yesterday and its called, "Night Photography." I am really excited to get working on this assignment because I have never shot at night and I have always wanted to because it seems like it would be really fun to get creative with your camera settings and all the lights and reflections going on arouand you. I just don't know what I want to shoot. I was thinking maybe doing a city type deal and just down to like L.A. and shoot some stuff down there because there are some neat things. Anywhoo, any other ideas? Let me know. I am still thinking of other ideas I just want to here what you guys think would be neat too.

Re: night time assignment

I've always had fun picking one well-lighted building, like a restaurant or hotel, and taking a nice long-exposure shot of it. You get some really neat colors from it.

I've also taken shots of the state Capitol building at night, and stood in the middle of a wide street lit with streetlights.

You could also set up above an intersection and get some light trails from cars going through it.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle
    So, I have a photo assignment that our photo teacher gave yesterday and its called, "Night Photography." I am really excited to get working on this assignment because I have never shot at night and I have always wanted to because it seems like it would be really fun to get creative with your camera settings and all the lights and reflections going on arouand you. I just don't know what I want to shoot. I was thinking maybe doing a city type deal and just down to like L.A. and shoot some stuff down there because there are some neat things. Anywhoo, any other ideas? Let me know. I am still thinking of other ideas I just want to here what you guys think would be neat too.
    Take a look around the Night photo project that we had some time ago for inspiration. Go to the Galleries link in the menu bar - then Photo Project and Night.

elmo

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Take a look around the Night photo project that we had some time ago for inspiration. Go to the Galleries link in the menu bar - then Photo Project and Night.
    Thanks!!
    =)

If you want some inspiration or some great tips and resources go to this site, beyonf amazing work his stories and descriptions of these places are amazing. e loves to get emails to.

www.nightphotographer.com

Actually this is a good week to do it...there will be meteor showers from Tuesday night to Friday - possibly peaking on Wednesday night.

<3 Canon

HHmmm...Ever think about painting with light. It's really fun and allows you to get creative and light things how you want them, not how they are already lit. Good subjects for this are old barns, a field with a few lone trees, and i did one of the playground at the grade school I use to go to. Might be something unique others in your class may not think of.

I've had some good luck photographing the Northern Lights and night snow scapes. I can't say I'm an expert but my camera is! I do night photography with my Nikon FE in AP Auto mode. This camera times out exposures perfectly. Good luck kyle. It's really a thrill when you get your film back and find out exactly what you captured on film. Jim

West Coast Ninja christopher_platt's Avatar

I remember in the first photography class I took at a local JC this guy did a REALLY cool project. He found a REALLY dark place (I think he did it in a cemetery?), so dark that if he moved fairly quickly in front of the open shutter he didn't leave any trails. Then he went to different places within the frame (sitting on headstones, in front of them, etc.) and had his girlfriend hit him with the flash. The result was him in a bunch of different poses in one frame. And this was all film and darkroom, no digital involved, which made it even cooler (it'd be easy to do in PS. . .well. . .relatively speaking). I'll try it sometime, but first I gotta find a girlfriend that is willing to go to some pitch dark place like a graveyard and chase me around with a flash. But I don't know how well I'll be able to sell that idea to my wife ;-). . . .JK.
    Chip

ok im a real novice and have tried to shoot at box hill in London probably as dark as it is gonna get but i either get completely black photos or ok ones can someone xplain how to get nice ones as it is a pain in the arese to mews up 3 quarters of a film

Quote Originally Posted by nighteye
    I've had some good luck photographing the Northern Lights and night snow scapes. I can't say I'm an expert but my camera is! I do night photography with my Nikon FE in AP Auto mode. This camera times out exposures perfectly. Good luck kyle. It's really a thrill when you get your film back and find out exactly what you captured on film. Jim
    i am a pro but need help for a friend shootign the moonlit top of Mt. Hood in Washington. I'm not sure of the exposure of a full moon on printine mountain snow with no other light source. Any ideas

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by DYER
    ok im a real novice and have tried to shoot at box hill in London probably as dark as it is gonna get but i either get completely black photos or ok ones can someone xplain how to get nice ones as it is a pain in the arese to mews up 3 quarters of a film

Even us "pros" don't get a perfect shot every time. I can shoot 100 frames and get 10 the papers could/would use. Sometimes they take the worst of the best....or even worst of the worst....
    We play with all the settings to get the result we want, there is no perfect setting for a particular shot, it all depends on what YOU want for the final outcome and the lighting you have to work with at the time and how you utilise your gear to get what you want.

JS

Thread Information