Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Transparent layer (HELP)

I've been trying to create a transparent layer in CS2 with text on it (copyright symbol, blah, blah...) so I can move to an image from my layers palette. Every time I try to merge the text to an image I get a white background... how do I move just the text without the b/g?

Re: Transparent layer (HELP)

Cmd-click (PC: Ctrl-click) the layer icon in the layers palette to select the contents of the layer without the transparent pixels. Then use the move tool (v) or copy/paste the layer into your image.

-Joe U.

I'm still getting the white background :mad2: I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

Well in PSE

Create new layer, Layer - New - Layer

This creates a blank layer

Select the text tool and write - wala just what you wanted. Now in CS2 I know it works because a friend showed me how on CS2 using almost the same drop downs.

The layer is set to normal

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I have a couple of files that use to do this. One is my Photo-John logo, which isn't actually text anymore. And we also have some layers for the digital camera studio sample images, one of which is a text layer that we move and then edit for each image. I just drag and drop. I have both images open and select the text layer in the layers pallet and then drag it either from the pallet or the image into the new image. It's that simple.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

If you saved the file as a jpg, then Photoshop substituted the white background for the transparent one (jpg format does not support saving transparency, and changes it to white by default.) Save the file in photoshop (psd) format to avoid this. Gif format preserves transparency as well.

Try this. Open your file, and double-click the background layer to change it to a floating layer. Select the wand (w), and click on the white background ( I'm hoping there's no white in the text ). If the entire background is selected, hit delete.

If the entire background is not selected, play with the 'tolerance' setting and click again. If you have white in the text, and it doesn't touch the background anywhere, unchecking the 'contiguous' setting will keep the white part of the text from being deleted.

If you still have problems, feel free to ask.

Also, if anyone's interested, I came up with what I think is a good way to do copyright layers. Create the new layer. Use 50% gray (H:0 S:0 B:50) as the color for your text. Go to Layer> Layer Style> Blending Options and add a drop shadow and inner glow. Set the blend mode of the text layer to "Soft Light". The Blending options show through, but the text coloring becomes transparent, allowing more of the photo to be seen. The effect applied looks something like this:

-Joe U.
    Last edited by Medley; 02-06-2007 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    If you saved the file as a jpg, then Photoshop substituted the white background for the transparent one (jpg format does not support saving transparency, and changes it to white by default.) Save the file in photoshop (psd) format to avoid this. Gif format preserves transparency as well.
    That was it!!! I was trying to save it as a JPEG :blush2: Thank you so much Joe!!! The signature looks great BTW!

And thank you John and Roger... I'm a happy camper now!

Thread Information