Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

PS Elements. Diff between Windows and Mac

Hey all....

I have been using PS Elements 5.0 for windows for about a year. I am comfortable with it. However I just bought an I-Mac and was wondering if anyone knew if Elements 4.0 for Mac is too much different than 5.0 for windows.

I was wondering if it would be a BIG learning curve, if it is similar how you organize and make projects, and if it edits somewhat the same...

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Re: PS Elements. Diff between Windows and Mac

Most everything for Mac is different from Windows: it works consistantly!

Did you, by chance, get an Intel Mac? If so then you have the capability to run Windows and keep your PSE5.

I have PSE4 for Mac, but no experience with PSE5 for Windows. However, I can tell you that PSCS2 is pretty much the same for both platforms. I wouldn't imagine that Elements would be THAT different.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Thanks.. I did get a Mac intel. i was thinking about windows and keeping PSE5, but I figured that I would just get PS4 for Mac. I know that somethings will be different, but I want to be able to get all my pics into one area and tag them. I also want to be able to "create" projects like in PSE5.

I shoot in RAW alot and like how it converts. I got my new computer because I needed more "power" and a better monitor so I just wnet out and bought my I-Mac 20. Got the intel 2.4 with 4 gb ram. Also put on a 500Gb external Hard Drive for back up. I love the setup.

Phil
    www.ODMP.org

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I work on a Mac all day long at my day job, and go home to a PC. I have never had any problems going back and forth between the two operating systems. The interface will look a little different between the two, all of the functionality will remain pretty much the same.

As far as going from PSE5 to PSE4, the differences you will see in the functionality will be as a reslut of the upgrades added to 5 that 4 doesn't have. The operating system you are using shouldn't have much, if any impact on that.

I don't have any experience with either PSE4 or 5, but I use CS2 on both Mac and PC, as well as CS3 Extended on the PC, and I have not found any differences, other than the new features added to CS3, between the two platforms.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

PSE6 for Mac was just announced yesterday, and it sounds like it'll ship next quarter.

Thanks for all the input. I may wait until next quarter. I am using CS3 and am NOT getting the handle on it. I am used to PSE 5. I may just have to pick up a book on CS3 and wait until the release of PSE6 for Mac.

Thanks all..

Phil
    www.ODMP.org

Since you already have CS3, I'd highly recommend spending your time learning it. It's the full monty! I have CS and at some point will upgrade it (long story) but Scott Kelby's books got me started in the right direction. There are a ton of other books and DVD's out there, but I'd also look for a class or workshop in your area.

This is the second time I've brought up BetterPhoto which I'm a little reluctant to do since I don't know anything about them, but they have several Photoshop classes.

Thread Information