Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

How do you label your CD's?

Chaps,

Read an article the other day that states that the ink from some pens labelled as CD/DVD compatible could eat through the surface of the disc.

Anyone got some information on what is safe to label CD/DVD's with? and if you use a CD compatible pen how long will it before they eat through the surface of the disc?

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: How do you label your CD's?

I have read that myself, and as a result, I don't write on the data part of the disc. I take a screen shot of the folders on that disc, and print it out. Then I assign a # to that disc. I print the # on the screen shot I printed, and then I write that # on the clear plastic part of the disc in the center with a felt tip pen. Since I'm writing on the plastic part of the disc, and not the data part of the disc, I'm not worried about the ink causing any problems.

I keep all my disc's in an album with a seperate pocket for each disc. I use the same pen to write the number I assigned to that disc on the plastic pocket in the album, and then keep everything together that way.

Ink never touches the data part of my discs.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Michael
    They were talking about the writing side of the disc not the data side which worried me. I write using a CD compatible water based ink pen on the writing side. Apparently they claim that the ink from printers is fine.

Now thinking of doing the same as you suggested.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Yeah, I should have been more specific. I didn't mean the actual data part of the disc, I meant the back of the data part.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

But on cheap discs, they're not a sandwich construction but the data layer is the "back" of the disc, basically overprinted of lacquered.
    Now I write on the clear inner section of the disc - not on the silver or gold bit at all.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Wow, this is all news to me. I have been writing on disks with a sharpie on the top, dull or emulsion side... I think sharpies are ok...well at least on cds cause some of mine are over eoght years old with no problems.
    "I don't like lizards", Frank Reynolds.

"At one time there existed a race of people whose knowledge consisted entirely of gossip", George Carlin.

Never heard of this, but now I will be careful as to how I mark my disks..Thanks
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

I have been using CD ink pens for several years now to mark my CD's and have had no problems. Perhaps the answer is CD INK PEN.

I have been using a Sharpie for many years, 7-8. I have not had any problems with music Cd's. I will have to look for some of the older Cd's and try them out.

James

You are probably asking about your own Cd's with files on them but I would like to add this just in case you copy a disc.

When I copy disc this is how I make the label...

I have an all in one printer. First I take one of the pages with the two CD labels pealed off and cut the outline of where the CD was removed in a square shape using an exacto knife. Now I have a sheet that originally had peal off labels with two cutout squares that the Cd's will fit in snugly. From then on all I do is lay this template down on the top of my printer and put the CD information side down and close the lid. Next I put a new sheet with labels on it in the printer and press copy. By having the Cd's positioned in the template I have made, it will copy the info centered on the CD label right where I need it. This is much easier than scanning it into my computer getting it into a program and lining it up.

With this method I can make a CD label perfectly centered with high resolution in seconds, Jeff

NOTE: Don't try cutting the CD label on the template out with a round hole because it is almost impossible. Cutting a square hole is easier and will make your CD stay where you need it to be able to copy.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't write anything on the disc either - this eliminates any chance of that problem. I store my CD's in jewel cases and put an Avery label on the outside of the case with what folders are on it. I store my images in folders such as 20080111_(subject).

It's easy and it works for me - I have rarely used the CD's for anything other than the wonderful time that my internal hard drive failed and somehow took a lot of info off my external drive which was on at the same time...

Thread Information