Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Angry Nikon Scan 4 & XP/SP2 crash

I recently upgraded to XP SP2 and immediately Nikon Scan4 started to crash (Coolscan4000ED).
    I contacted Nikon support who say they do not support SP2.
    I have tried rolling back the upgrade, reinstalling drivers & Scan 4 but it still crashes.
    Has any one else had this problem?

Considering they released a 72 page upgrade instruction guide with the SP2 I would have thought reading that would have been a good idea, especially with all the comments going around about problems with the SP2 after installing it. Have a look at http://www.winxpnews.com you might find helpful and useful info there that will resolve the issue.

I never install service packs within the first 2 months of official releases for this exact problem. Why, because the bugs are out of the SP by then usually.

Yes - I feel silly about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Considering they released a 72 page upgrade instruction guide with the SP2 I would have thought reading that would have been a good idea, especially with all the comments going around about problems with the SP2 after installing it. Have a look at http://www.winxpnews.com you might find helpful and useful info there that will resolve the issue.

I never install service packs within the first 2 months of official releases for this exact problem. Why, because the bugs are out of the SP by then usually.
    Like you I am normally very wary of MS upgrades but this time I checked with my OS / hardware man before installing. He confirmed I could roll back if anything went wrong, but the real killer is that it still crashes after I rolled back the upgrade. I don't think I ever knew about a 72 page upgrade guide, but thank you for the link to WinXPnews - it looks very useful.

Don't feel silly about this happening, it is the norm for Microsoft upgrades and updates.

I have been in the computer industry of 15 years building my own computers and selling them, but I still get caught as well. The other day, I had to reformat and reinstall everything on my daughters machine as I some how got the dreaded Blue Screen of Death Reboot happening continually.

All I did was install a trojan removal software and it got in a death loop on reboot.

I have read that the rollback feature doesn't work that well with the service pack, even read reports that people have had to reformat and start all over again.

This happened to me, when I was upgrading to Windows XP on my Windows 2000 machine, took me days to recover back to normal (Windows 2000) stearing well clear of Windows XP until the next major release happens as I think that will be a bit more stable than Windows XP is/remains.

The 72 page upgrade guide is something Microsoft has just released with the current Service Pack release which was delayed until recently, because of this same problem. have a look at the winxpnews.com site history, you should be able to see what I am talking about.

mg2

Smile Re: Nikon Scan 4 & XP/SP2 crash

Quote Originally Posted by JoeEdwards
    I recently upgraded to XP SP2 and immediately Nikon Scan4 started to crash (Coolscan4000ED).
    I contacted Nikon support who say they do not support SP2.
    I have tried rolling back the upgrade, reinstalling drivers & Scan 4 but it still crashes.
    Has any one else had this problem?
    I can't tell if you've fixed your problem or not, but if you haven't, here's how:

Go to the control panel (classic view) double click ‘System’.

Choose ‘Advanced’ tab, In the ‘Startup and Recovery’ section click the ‘settings’ button.
    Then click ‘Edit’ button in system startup.
    This will open Notepad and will open your BOOT.INI file. At the end of the file you will see /NoExecute=OptOut.
    Change ‘OptOut’ to ‘AlwaysOff’. Close Notepad and save (click yes and ok).
    After reboot Nikon Capture 4 should work without any problems.

Edited by Hendrik on Oct 17, 2004 at 12:07 PM GMT

This worked for me

Re: Nikon Scan 4 & XP/SP2 crash

Quote Originally Posted by mg2
    I can't tell if you've fixed your problem or not, but if you haven't, here's how:

Go to the control panel (classic view) double click ‘System’.

Choose ‘Advanced’ tab, In the ‘Startup and Recovery’ section click the ‘settings’ button.
    Then click ‘Edit’ button in system startup.
    This will open Notepad and will open your BOOT.INI file. At the end of the file you will see /NoExecute=OptOut.
    Change ‘OptOut’ to ‘AlwaysOff’. Close Notepad and save (click yes and ok).

This worked for me
    It worked for me too; thank you very much! However, would be curious to know if what I did will have an impact anywhere else (my original unedited setting ended with AlwaysOn which seemed to have made no difference to your work-around).

Re: Nikon Scan 4 & XP/SP2 crash

Quote Originally Posted by milest
    It worked for me too; thank you very much! However, would be curious to know if what I did will have an impact anywhere else (my original unedited setting ended with AlwaysOn which seemed to have made no difference to your work-around).
    Sorry; me again. Just noticed you said Nikon Capture 4; presume you meant Nikon Scan 4 for which it certainly worked?

Question Re: Nikon Scan 4 & XP/SP2 crash

I also am having a problem with Nikon Scan 4 crashing PS CS on my new Dell Dimension 8400. The BOOT.INI file says: [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect.

If I change Optin to AlwaysOff will I affect any othe functions?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mg2

Go to the control panel (classic view) double click ?System?.

Choose ?Advanced? tab, In the ?Startup and Recovery? section click the ?settings? button.
    Then click ?Edit? button in system startup.
    Change ?OptOut? to ?AlwaysOff?. Close Notepad and save (click yes and ok).

This worked for me

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Reality

SP2 for Windows XP fixed many holes in the OS. This means that software taking advantage of those holes, or certain "assumed" behaviors, go nuts after the upgrade is applied.

Before I upgraded to SP2 I did several things:

1. I waited a while to see what problems others have had. As others here have stated, this is always good advice with MS.

2. I read the instructions. MS made it very clear that you MUST remove all spyware, adware, and viruses before doing the upgrade. I did a full "deep" virus scan and ran boh Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D.

3. I looked for older software that might not work. That turned up an old TWAIN driver that I updated. When Nikon says that their software is not compatible with XP2 you should have listened.

4. I installed XP2 and have not had any problems at all.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information