Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Question Canon 20D Printing

I recently purchased a Canon 20D. I am having trouble getting consistent, good prints using Adobe Elements 3 even though the image looks great on the computer. I have been shooting in Raw mode. When downloaded the raw file shows highlight and shadow defects. The highlight defects (blowouts) are troublesome. I have tried under-exposing when shooting with some degree of success. I can eliminate the blowouts if I correct the exposure in raw mode (by decreasing exposure and increasing brightness), but the prints come out muddy. If I save the file as a JPEG and very dark then I can sometimes get a good print, but it is not very predictable. Can someone give me some direction?

Re: Canon 20D Printing

Hi - I moved this to the Digital Imaging forum. Are you using any color management devices (monitor calibration, etc)? I think a lot of your problems might be coming from that.

With an uncalibrated monitor, the computer tells the monitor what to display but the monitor might not be accurate. A calibration device will measure a known color (actually many colors plus white, grey and black) that it's software displays, then the device reads how that color is really displayed. It makes a profile that takes into account these differences and life is good. It's magic beyond that - but there are some good books on the subject.

Thread Information