Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Zephyr

Zephyr

I love these old trains and the era from which they came ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zephyr-zephyr.jpg  

Re: Zephyr

Seems clean and in good shape , it is in a museum ?

I like the light reflections and the B&W processing

Do not know if there was room to capture more of the engine, but this crop leaves me wanting to see more

metal shine and black and whites go together reallly well. this photo shows why. lovely textures and shines on the train's body. very nice black and white treatment. love the tonal range. the composition is a bit tight, but that's what you were going for. good stuff. i think it will look great in a series side by side, different angles, parts, etc.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m
    Seems clean and in good shape , it is in a museum ?
    Yes, this was an inside shot ...with my new D7000 I was amazed that I was able to pull this off hand held - ISO 3200.

GB1

What I see I really like, but it feels unfulfilled without seeing the nose of the train. Seeing the windows up top in the cockpit almost makes up for it, though not quite. Great shiny look. It could be sharper, but the slight blurriness also makes it look vintage.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by llewpics
    Yes, this was an inside shot ...with my new D7000 I was amazed that I was able to pull this off hand held - ISO 3200.
    I think we might need to form a D7000 club!!!! Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here are the other 3 shots I took ...taking the photo of the whole train was not possible in the barn ...and getting a good "frontal" was hard as well .....but good news ! They actually still take this old thing out for a run from time to time ...just have to find out when !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zephyr-zephyr-2.jpg   Zephyr-zephyr-3.jpg   Zephyr-zephyr-4.jpg  

Your B&W processing works really well with this subject, curious as to what method you used.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Great processing. Very good iq at 3200 as well.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Monochrome images that I do, in general: I start with splitting the RGB and finding which one I like best, then I use channels to convert to Monochrome. After that,I adjust the levels and balance the tone. Next are curves for some contrast. I will then usually either add to take away some grain and potentially improve sharpness. Lastly I use tone mapping built into Corel on a single image (you can do pseudo HDR as well) and tweak it "just a little bit" - it does some great things to contrast and that "effect" that seems apparent here.

Thread Information