Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Yet, another flower

This lonely flower was amidst brick and pavement in big ole NYC. I was not too thrilled about the building in the background and think that it is just an ok shot.
    I am really really new to this whole photography thing and am open and excited about the learning process. Any comments you may have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet, another flower-pink-rose.jpg  
    ~Nina~

Re: Yet, another flower

A very pink flower, almost too pink! I suspect this image might be aggressively compressed, which detracts as does the slightly soft focus.

I think with sharper focus on the flower and more wall above and less leaf below this could be a very nice picture. For me though, at the moment, there are too many things that detract from the overall quality.

However, please don't let me put you off! The background is good and the subject pretty. Besides, I'm a very ameteur ameteur anyway so it's just my humble opinion

Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by Hindey; 10-13-2004 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Missed a word out

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nina
    This lonely flower was amidst brick and pavement in big ole NYC. I was not too thrilled about the building in the background and think that it is just an ok shot.
    I am really really new to this whole photography thing and am open and excited about the learning process. Any comments you may have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Hi Nina,

I found the overall composition pleasing, but for sure you could have used a bit more DOF.

I also agree with Chris: since the wall was quite close, I would have included it in the composition (i.e. I would have made it as sharp as the flower). I think that the darker tone of the wall would have been sufficient to clearly differentiate the flower from the wall.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Steph.

Hey Nina,
    I for one, like how the wall is just noticable but not so clear as to distract. I like your placement of the flower in the frame and the amount of leaves in the bottom right area. I would have liked the flower to have been sharper and the color to have been a bit more natural looking. But, a nice subject, good framing. keep it up!
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information