Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Winter Vacation

Winter Vacation

Just a quick grab-shot this evening after sunset.
    Canon 1D X, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, f/11, 1/100 800 ISO

Winter Vacation-_r0o0841.jpg
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Re: Winter Vacation

The post isn't helping here,a couple of steps to the left I think would have helped. I was going to suggest getting a bit lower but then you would end up with trees growing out of the tractor, so I think you have got the vantage point height about right and the machine stands out well from the snowy surround.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Thanks Pete. To the left was the other end of the gate opening, so another post would have come in, plus a bunch of wire panels on the ground that weren't very attractive. I like having the fence in the frame, but wish that the timber was more rustic/rugged, rather that the green, treated wood. I'm thinking that if it was more earth toned, it wouldn't be quite as objectionable...maybe I will try to tweak the color a bit, as I like having a near feature to anchor the shot. As always, I appreciate your input.
    Ken

I tried a couple different edits of this shot, one desaturating the fence timber and the other using a different image with a little more space to work with. Curious to hear your opinions on them...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Vacation-20140304-international-musselshell-840.jpg   Winter Vacation-20140304-international-musselshell-841-edit.jpg  
    Ken

I like that first one of the last two. I was going to suggest being closer with a little wider lens (or zoom out) to eliminate the fence. That first shot kid of looks that way, or maybe it's a crop. Either way I think that one works better. The post just draws away from the subject.
    Are you looking West here? If so early morning with some clouds in the distance and some nice light on the tractor might work well too. But you'd have to avoid your shadow showing up or remove it in post.
    I like these old finds too. Fun subject matter that has probably been through a lot.

Thanks Matt. I'm liking that one best, also. Your morning shot idea just might work out nicely, I will have to give that a try when the conditions are right.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    Thanks Matt. I'm liking that one best, also. Your morning shot idea just might work out nicely, I will have to give that a try when the conditions are right.
    Toss a nice moonset in there and you'll have a winner!

Wow I can see this in a Hallmark card or something... cool look.

Thread Information