Winter Vacation

Printable View

• 03-04-2014, 09:30 PM
    ksbryan0
    1 Attachment(s)
    Winter Vacation
    Just a quick grab-shot this evening after sunset.
    Canon 1D X, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, f/11, 1/100 800 ISO

Attachment 92812
  • 03-05-2014, 01:31 AM
    hminx
    Re: Winter Vacation
    The post isn't helping here,a couple of steps to the left I think would have helped. I was going to suggest getting a bit lower but then you would end up with trees growing out of the tractor, so I think you have got the vantage point height about right and the machine stands out well from the snowy surround.
  • 03-05-2014, 06:03 PM
    ksbryan0
    Thanks Pete. To the left was the other end of the gate opening, so another post would have come in, plus a bunch of wire panels on the ground that weren't very attractive. I like having the fence in the frame, but wish that the timber was more rustic/rugged, rather that the green, treated wood. I'm thinking that if it was more earth toned, it wouldn't be quite as objectionable...maybe I will try to tweak the color a bit, as I like having a near feature to anchor the shot. As always, I appreciate your input.
  • 03-05-2014, 11:18 PM
    ksbryan0
    2 Attachment(s)
    I tried a couple different edits of this shot, one desaturating the fence timber and the other using a different image with a little more space to work with. Curious to hear your opinions on them...
  • 03-06-2014, 04:00 PM
    mattb
    I like that first one of the last two. I was going to suggest being closer with a little wider lens (or zoom out) to eliminate the fence. That first shot kid of looks that way, or maybe it's a crop. Either way I think that one works better. The post just draws away from the subject.
    Are you looking West here? If so early morning with some clouds in the distance and some nice light on the tractor might work well too. But you'd have to avoid your shadow showing up or remove it in post.
    I like these old finds too. Fun subject matter that has probably been through a lot.
  • 03-06-2014, 06:26 PM
    ksbryan0
    Thanks Matt. I'm liking that one best, also. Your morning shot idea just might work out nicely, I will have to give that a try when the conditions are right.
  • 03-06-2014, 10:53 PM
    mattb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    Thanks Matt. I'm liking that one best, also. Your morning shot idea just might work out nicely, I will have to give that a try when the conditions are right.

Toss a nice moonset in there and you'll have a winner! :)
  • 04-03-2014, 09:29 PM
    JMASTERJ
    Wow I can see this in a Hallmark card or something... cool look.