Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The whole event

The whole event

Hello all,
    I need a little, okay a lot of help. When I shoot events, I like to shoot the whole event. Here are two shots that capture more than just the riders. The first one has a mill in the backgroud, but it is washed out, what would help? The second the riders feel a little too leftout for me... Any ideas?

I use a Canon Rebel Ti with a Tamron 70-300 lens.

TIA

I think the background blur and wash-out are OK in the 1st image because it puts more emphasis on the line of cyclists. Putting the cyclists in the middle of the frame puts my eyes on the too-large area of rocks in the foreground. Tilting the camera up a bit, with just a thin row of rocks at the bottom of the frame would improve this, in my opinion.

2nd image...excellent capture, excellent composition, poor exposure, as the highlights...woman's face, white areas on bikers and signs are totally washed out. Good eye for seeing this one. :-)

Both photos are well-composed for the most part. I think that the first image is not washed out, that's just haze you've captured. A victim of the blue vault. I will say it might've been improved if the bodies of the cylcists were more "frozen". I think the spokes wheels would still carry the blurred effect in that case and thus convey the motion.

The second one is good except that the lady's face looks blown out (used too much flash maybe?) and a bit out of focus as a result. Otherwise it's pretty cool I think.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information