Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Village Life in Shunde, China

This is another one that I have taken in Shunde, Guangdong Province of China. People are chitchating under the tree. On the whole the village's houses are old and not well-maintained, but amazingly there are many modern vehicles, showing the accumulated wealth and pollution.

Please let me know your thought so that I can improve myself. Thanks a lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Village Life in Shunde, China-shunde-082004-038bw.jpg   Village Life in Shunde, China-shunde-082004-014bw.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by plchung
    This is another one that I have taken in Shunde, Guangdong Province of China. People are chitchating under the tree. On the whole the village's houses are old and not well-maintained, but amazingly there are many modern vehicles, showing the accumulated wealth and pollution.

Please let me know your thought so that I can improve myself. Thanks a lot.
    Thanks for posting these. They are well composed and the subjects are quite interesting to me. I really like the textures in the buldings too.
    They seem a bit dark in the areas that have the people so I have trouble seeing them. A slight curves adjustment of the darker values opens them up I think.
    Nice work. Please post some more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Village Life in Shunde, China-001.jpg  

Opinionated Newbie
    plchung -- These images are not bad at all. The one with the tree needs something. I don't know exactly what it is. Maybe crop in a bit from the top. The upper 30% of the photo does not lend much to the bottom 70%.

The alley is good. I would burn the sky a bit and increase the contrast.

You have mentioned the contrast of sub-par living conditions, yet people have nice cars. I would love to see that captured on film. It's tells a story of contrast and irony. You have the opportunity to document an area of the world that many here, including myself, simply have not had a chance to observe.

China is on the top of my list of places to visit when my boys get to an age where they can travel -- and not drive me insane. You are fortunate! Can you travel pretty much unabated through China now?

Thanks Todd Patten and Chunk for your valuable comments. Yeah the contrast is great at day time and I guess I need to be more attentive to details and also people (what people are doing). The one on tree is not a very good one actually, and I too think there is something missing here. I was attracted by the big big tree AND the people at the same time. When I took this picture I wanna show the contrast between big (tree) and small (people). But at the same time I also want to catch the kind of feeling that I have when seeing people chitchating under the tree - here I think I need more details and hence closer look at what the people are doing. With too much things to day the picture ends up with nothing unfortunately.

As for China, I rarely go beyong city or urban area. Honestly I have bad impression about Shenzhen, the city close to Hong Kong. There I see chaos, materialism and ambition. That may be superficial, I don't know.

Shunde is a small city when compare with Guangzhou and Shenzhen. ANd the place that I have visited is actually a village. In the past 10 years or so there are only bicycles running on the poorly maintained "road". Now everyone aspire to a car, even though they look like a poor peasant - by using the modernised / western standard.

Yes, we are free to travel around in China, except to certain restricted border area. Come to China and then Hong Kong and you will find more.

Thread Information