Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Trying something new ---for me....

To me, it's almost like something from Jerry Uelsmann. For those who haven't heard of Jerry, he was sort of a human Photoshop machine back when the darkroom was still the tool of choice, and he would make these AMAZING montages of multiple photos in the darkroom.

Checked out the stuff and much to my surprise I actually had seen his work and it encouraged me to try something I've been wanting to try for a while...although I know there are varying opinions on "artsy" images an whther it's still a photo or not...I figured I'd try it anyway...suggestions and comments and improvements are most welcome...Thanks for looking

three images I've posted before(at least two of them) combined...A lot of dodging ,burning, cut and paste and contrast adjustment and voila...feel free to give it your own title-because I sure couldn't think of one...it did make me think of "waiting for ship to come in" and cheesy things like that

take care
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 02-29-2004 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Thanks for posting this on Nat!
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Natalie,

this is really good work, it still retain the photo feel. The only thing that I think doesn't fit is your face... No offense, I just think it would be much more mysterious if it was just the benches. The face immediately triggers a "ah, it's fake" response, but if it was just the benches it would make one think about it.

As always, my 2 cents.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

i'm with seb on this one.as much as i like your face, i think it conflicts with an otherwise incredible image. maybe if you split this idea in two- one with just the benches in the water, another with your face in the clouds.
    but regardless, it's impressive what you've done. encourages me to try something similar...
    "Too much color blinds the eye."
    -Lao Tze

No face---surely you jest

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Natalie,

this is really good work, it still retain the photo feel. The only thing that I think doesn't fit is your face... No offense, I just think it would be much more mysterious if it was just the benches. The face immediately triggers a "ah, it's fake" response, but if it was just the benches it would make one think about it.

As always, my 2 cents.
    O.k. so maybe not everything is better if it's all about me....you know how I love to put myself in every pic--lol

that's a really good idea...and just to show you what a great idea I think it is here ya go ...no face...and Shhhhhhhhhhhhh I think I like it better that way and thanks for your two cents

Thanks as always...
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I agree see post under sebs answer

Quote Originally Posted by bingo pajama
    i'm with seb on this one.as much as i like your face, i think it conflicts with an otherwise incredible image. maybe if you split this idea in two- one with just the benches in the water, another with your face in the clouds.
    but regardless, it's impressive what you've done. encourages me to try something similar...
    glad you were inspired...actually I think no face in anything is best seeing as it's nice not to have to look at myself ALL the time
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

There can be only one...

...original. That is, I much prefer your first image. You obviously know exactly what I was talking about in my comment about your benches / what makes Uelsmann's work so compelling. Just because "it wasn't there", doesn't mean "it isn't there" if you take my meaning.

Shots like this are invariably about what's inside you, and what you want people to understand about you... the juxtaposition of the benches on the water is both clever and well-designed. The only thing is that the ripples almost infer "shoreline nearby", which of course could mean one might take this shot quite literally (in the case of the second version). And your face *does* belong in there I think, although I would fade it into the sky even more than you have done to give it a bit more ethereal feel.

I did a bunch of shots like this when I was in photography school (digital imaging class, not the darkroom thankfully!) and I found that people were most often moved by the shots where the human elements were *very* subtle, but still easy to recognize once you scan over the entire scene. The starker the contrast between the human and the inanimate, the more it becomes about "the act of combining cool imagery" than about the emotion behind the work. Like the difference between a Hallmark card and a daydream, maybe... I dunno.

I can't describe that idea quite right, but I will conclude by saying you have a real talent for this sort of thing, so I encourage you to keep making compositions like these IF it's something you really enjoy doing. For me, I like doing montages like this as self-portraits (which might be why I like your face in the shot more than out of it). If you do it right, you can turn your computer into a camera and not just a special effects machine.

;)
    Last edited by PuckJunkey; 02-19-2004 at 09:43 AM.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

WOW! Blown Away!

Natalie,
    That is more that almost like Jerry Uelsmann.
    I am very impressed Nat!
    This is by far your best image ever!
    You are really pushing yourself!
    WOW! Is about all I can say..
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

MUCH better without the mug shot...

Very, very cool, reminds me of that picture with the water, and the escalators, and the people.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Very nice. I also like the no-face one. But I have a bias against a lot of photoshoppy looking stuff. The thing I like about photography is the idea of catching beauty out of the ordinary... Once it starts looking too "fake" I start seeing the process, and not the image. (I immediately picking the image apart into the pieces that were combined instead of taking it as a whole.)

Nothing against your work, like I said it'd a bias I have.

But I really like the one with just the benches in the water. It's like out of a flood movie or something.

Hmmmmmmmmmm???

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    MUCH better without the mug shot...

Very, very cool, reminds me of that picture with the water, and the escalators, and the people.
    I can't disagree with you Seb, but I like them both. They both evoke different feelings.
    With Nat's mugg, you get a sense of longing, waiting.
    Without, you get a diferrent feel, I can't quite put come up with.
    Nonetheless, I am quite happy to see Natalie pushing herself to create some great images!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Exactly. They're completely different images depending on whether her face is present or not. They're not [easily compared] because they're not about the same thing when that change is made... you move from something that is more about emotion (with the face), to basically a landscape design without it. Different elements, different motives for making the shot IMO.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I can't disagree with you Seb, but I like them both. They both evoke different feelings.
    Eh, what the hell do you know....

-Seb

My website

Talking ¿Uh Seb?

Feeling a bit cranky today?

Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

WOW!!! what awesome work. Great imagination and inspiration. I very much like both, but leaning just a bit to the "faceless" version. On the other hand, I was blown away by the first offering sooooo...
    I think I will just enjoy them for what they are, pleasing to the eye and reaching different emotions and feelings and enjoying great work from your wonderful imagination.

jeff
    Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.

mine name is Duncan

Duncan McCloud and I am the Highlander ....or something like that. Thanks for directing me towards what I didn't realize would be a source of inspiartion.

having fun on posting a few different version...the ocean allows for a broad range of playing...thanks again...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Feeling a bit cranky today?

Brian
    Nah, just messin with you...only cause I knew you'd know I was kidding.
    -Seb

My website

I like them both for they are two different images with and without the face, as PuckJunkey stated. I also agree I would like the image with your face to be a bit more subtle, almost having to look for it in the sky it would look like you were there in spirit. very clever and imaginative. Keep it coming . . .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Perspective?

just one nit pick, i like the faceless one however with both i think you need to get the angle of the benches more in tune with the way the angle of the water falls away, tilt the bench layer CW just a few degrees, i think, just a guess that this will make the "photo" look even better then it already does.

Natalie,
    That is more that almost like Jerry Uelsmann.
    I am very impressed Nat!
    This is by far your best image ever!
    You are really pushing yourself!
    WOW! Is about all I can say..
    Brian
    thanks for your enthusiasm Brian...I'm really pushing my brain and some things are working and some difnitely aren't...this style of art definitely appeals to me...the possibilities of images are endless...now if I could get my regular photography(especially BW) to better level I'd be happy..thnaks for the kind words and encouragement...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

tried it

but it wasn't happening for me...explain more what it is about the perspective that it feels off for you please

I tried to line the backs of the benches in a diagonal so the perspective was somewhat correct ---so i'll wait for your response so I can understand what your suggestioning, thanks Jezz
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

i think it needs to be rotated so that the diagonal at the thrid(from right) is more severe, even if you just rotate the last one slightly, i tried to play but i just couldnt get it right my self, i tried to put the second bench in as the thrid so that it had the same angle on it but that didnt work either. Perhaps you got it as rightr as is possible from the two different pics.

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

I love it

Absolutely and would bevery proud to produce this kind of image.First thought that came to me was "Haunted memories" for the title.Second was what a beautiful face, hope he appreciates you.I would love to follow the process and have a go at this myself.If you have the time would you spell it out for me.Thanks, Nat, love your work.
    Bobby

Talking Awesome Natalie!

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    To me, it's almost like something from Jerry Uelsmann. For those who haven't heard of Jerry, he was sort of a human Photoshop machine back when the darkroom was still the tool of choice, and he would make these AMAZING montages of multiple photos in the darkroom.

Checked out the stuff and much to my surprise I actually had seen his work and it encouraged me to try something I've been wanting to try for a while...although I know there are varying opinions on "artsy" images an whther it's still a photo or not...I figured I'd try it anyway...suggestions and comments and improvements are most welcome...Thanks for looking

three images I've posted before(at least two of them) combined...A lot of dodging ,burning, cut and paste and contrast adjustment and voila...feel free to give it your own title-because I sure couldn't think of one...it did make me think of "waiting for ship to come in" and cheesy things like that

take care

Truly an awesome image! No wonder it's the featured photo!

Beauty and talent - what a combination!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

From Paris with Love

Mamiya 6 MF+50mm

Nat & Uelsmann

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach

take care
    This is an imaginative piece of work.
    Surrealism is always fun.
    I have been a fan of Ulesmann for years.
    It is, of course, the mixing of multiple elements, which makes surrealism.
    Without the face this is just a photograph of some benches, sitting in the water.
    Could be high tide or just the high water of spring.
    You've done a skillful job of merging the various elements.
    The general composition is quite good, with an excellent tonal range.
    There is room here for other elements, being wild and wacky, is part of surrealism.
    Surrealism is about situtations which can only exist in the imagination.
    You look like you are having fun.
    Let's see some more!!!

Fitz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information