Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Blue Heron in Florida

I took this two weeks ago at the Loxahatchee NWR in Palm Beach county Florida. This was my first time visiting the refuge and I was just blown away by the abundance of wildlife there. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who enjoys our feathered friends. It's just $5 a day per vehicle to visit.

EOS 1V
    Sigma 300mm with 2x tele converter
    Benbo Tripod
    f 5.6 approx 1/500 second
    Fuji Reala

All critiques are welcomed.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue Heron in Florida-blue-heron-600.jpg  

"All critiques are welcomed."
    Well Joe, I cant find anything to critique your picture, This is an awesome shot. The background is blurred just right (for my liking) and the sharpness and color is teriffic. Excellent job. We should be seeing some Blue Herons up here in Alaska in a couple of months, I hope I can get a shot as outstanding as yours.

jeff
    Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.

Talk about nitpick, but the only thing that bothers me is the blade of grass that looks like it's about to give the birdie a kiss. I suggest the clone tool.

Other than that, I am in no way qualified to say anything else. Wait till Paul sees it though...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    well i've been to loxa and wako amoung others...

where else in the US can i say.....

love the detail and breeding plumage, but i think it's just a wee bit too tight.

I would also clone the stray feather from the bill.

JOE.... don't get me wrong this is quite an image as are most of your images!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Joe:
    Excellent capture! The clarity is amazing considering you used a 2X TC. I have been considering the Sigma 300, 2.8 myself. How do you like that lens? It looks like it does a great job, judging by this shot. You can e-mail me if you like (thewolfs@houston.rr.com).

The only problem I have with the picture is that it isn't one of mine. Great job!

Paul

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback. I did actually clone out another very small feather that was hanging from his beak just under the large one. As far as the lens goes, I can't say enough about it. I feel so lucky to have it. The 2x converter will soften it a bit at certain apertures. I try to not go beyond the 1.4x if I can. The lens is extremely well made and focuses very quickly and quietly. The only weekness I have seen is while shooting in the direction of a low sun. The image will quickly wash out from flare and the autofocus goes out the window. But I guess most lenses would have the same problem. The big thing you get with the Canon is the IS. If I could afford it, I would propably go with the Canon for the IS.
    Thanks again to all.

Thread Information