Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Truth Squad

The Truth Squad

-Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Re: The Truth Squad

I've already told you I love this one, Sebastian. What's the story behind it? Was she really that distrusting of you? I would imagine she thought you were "the media".

What's the story behind your being there?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Wow - Is she hiding behind the truth? Stellar photo - one of those that transcends technical details, although you seem to have all those nailed.

It may not be germane to the picture, but in looking at it, it occurs to me just how much your skills have grown in the time I have been visiting this board (three or fours years, maybe longer?) I look at this and I think of one you posted a long while back of a woman in a coat on a sidewalk with her back to the camera (red coat, was it snowing) and there is no comparison. I suppose it's pretty easy to pic any two photos and make comparisons, but the insofar as someone with my own limited skills can tell, you've really got it going on. Bravo.

It also occurs to me that you are a bit of a truth squad for this board - not afraid (or maybe just not inclined) to tell it like it is.

Seb,

Just amazing. Perfect composition and so meaningful.

Amazed,

Jared

This is the type of picture that could make the cover of TIME magazine or something, it's that perfect.

Even down to how much sign you captured... we don't need the whole sign, but we know darn well what it says, which is crucial to the meaning of the shot.

*wow*
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

VERY impressive shot Seb, one of those ones that makes me think "wish I'd taken that"! Definitely one for your portfolio

regards,

matt

Hi Seb,
    Very good shot! The composition is neat. The theme leads to a deep relection.
    yoyo

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I've already told you I love this one, Sebastian. What's the story behind it? Was she really that distrusting of you? I would imagine she thought you were "the media".

What's the story behind your being there?
    Kelly,

Thanks. No story here, she was just holding the sign up like that, for whatever reason, and noticed me taking pics. She was very nice, and in no way afraid of me being the media. She was more than happy to give me her name and even age, though unfortunately the shot was not descriptive enough to run in the paper, I chose several others instead. I shot it because I saw multiple layers here, I saw a way to create something that would make me think into it if I was looking at it, that's all... Sorry to disappoint.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    Wow - Is she hiding behind the truth? Stellar photo - one of those that transcends technical details, although you seem to have all those nailed.

It may not be germane to the picture, but in looking at it, it occurs to me just how much your skills have grown in the time I have been visiting this board (three or fours years, maybe longer?) I look at this and I think of one you posted a long while back of a woman in a coat on a sidewalk with her back to the camera (red coat, was it snowing) and there is no comparison. I suppose it's pretty easy to pic any two photos and make comparisons, but the insofar as someone with my own limited skills can tell, you've really got it going on. Bravo.

It also occurs to me that you are a bit of a truth squad for this board - not afraid (or maybe just not inclined) to tell it like it is.
    LL,

Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it. Yes, it has been at least four years, thought it feels like less than that. Hate to tell you you're wrong though, but the lady in red wasn't mine, but I remember seeing the shot here in the past. As for my work, for every shot that I like, there are many, many frames that I am frustrated with due to a lack of improvement. It's as if for every breakthrough there is a long and frustrating plateau. I'm sure you understand.

BTW, it's both, not inclined or afraid...
    -Seb

My website

Jared,

Thank you. Glad I wasn't the only one that saw something in it.
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by mattp
    VERY impressive shot Seb, one of those ones that makes me think "wish I'd taken that"! Definitely one for your portfolio

regards,

matt
    Thanks Matt, I already added it to my portfolio.
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyo Szeto
    Hi Seb,
    Very good shot! The composition is neat. The theme leads to a deep relection.
    yoyo
    Yoyo,

Thank you very much! It means a lot coming from you, I have felt that the majority of your work does the very same, encourages plenty of reflection. Though I don't comment often, whenever you post and I catch it, I take a look. Thanks again.
    -Seb

My website

Sebastian,
    not much more I can add to what has already been said. It is very good in all aspects, technical as well as composition. I appreciate you giving us the inside story on this , even though it turns out the story may not have been as deep as the picture would have us believe. That usually is the case with many images. But you captured a precise moment in such a way that that turned out to be more powerful and telling than might have been the actual event itself. Bottom line; Great Shot.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks Gary. They were in front of Dennis Hastert's office protesting the proposed changes to Social Security.
    -Seb

My website

Outstanding. It gives us the opportunity to guess the circumstances of the shot.
    It conveys fear, apprehension and reluctance to be photographed or "I shouldn't be doing this" or "jeez, there's my husband" type of thing. Technically excellent also.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Great composition and great DOF Sebastian! It's shots like this that bring the old saying "a picture's worth 1000 words" to mind. Great work.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Tom and Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to share your views. Hearing how others "read" my images helps me learn to more effectively communicate through them.
    -Seb

My website

West Coast Ninja christopher_platt's Avatar

It's great, nothing to add. So what's the story behind it? Who is she?

learning member

Seb, I don't know why I didn't look before. This is perfect!
    Mark.

Great photo Seb!! I love it.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information