Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Tristan

Tristan

How is this overall and what should I have done to get the eyes lighter/brighter? - TF

Tristan-dsc05048-181.jpg
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Re: Tristan

I think I like the eyes as they are. You might be able to bring out a bit more color/brown and illumination within them by didging using the midrange and shadow level, but I don't think its important. You have beautiful lighting here overall, and the catchlights in the eyes are enough. If you would have used a reflector or slight fill flash towrds the front of the face you would have more illumination but possible at the expense of this wonderful soft and moody light we feel here.
    Lovely photo. My only issue is the edge of the sofa in the right side but I would not suggest a crop . We don't want to lose the dogs paw there.
    you can extend the sof to the edge of the frame easily by cloning more in, but this is really a nitpik and not too important.
    I think you have a fine photo of Tristan here.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I like it as is.

I think you have a great picture here. My one nit pick would be to crop out about 1/2 of the empty space above his head. This would get him out of the center by raising him up some and make it a more interesting photo The only other thing I think it needs is a nice frame and hung on the wall, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great photo! I had a whack at it myself, I added a new layer, painted solid white over his eyes then set the blending type to 'soft light'. I usually adjust opacity with that trick too, but his eyes at soft light 100% looked good.

*Edit - actually, I tried again, I think her eyes may look more natural with a 70% opacity. The included pic is the 100% soft light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tristan-dsc05048-181-2.jpg  

Thanks everyone for your time and comments. I used a flash off camera high left and you can see the distinct shadow of his ear. Was it too high to get the eyes? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Getting a dog's eyes in the light usually makes them look demonic. Almost every shot I have of a dog in a studio involves heavy processing on their eyes. I dont know how practical or possible it is to get reliably good lighting on a dog's eyes, particularly as much as they move their heads, can't exactly tell them to hold still! (none of mine anyway).

In any event, the lighting aside from the eyes was very well done, and the eyes are an easy fix, I'd say you hit it right here, the shadow being off of face doesn't bother me at all either.

Nice pic OC!
    The right paw looks kind of strange but is what it is so no mayor problem there.
    Regarding the eyes they look fine in the original, if you want them more colorful I would suggest a blend between the original and the ones you retouched.
    That tone of eyes are very tricky to deal with, if its over done the look kind of "devilish" which is no good considering the rest of the pic.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Nice Dog. Nice Photo. Nice Contrast.

I like the first image, even the eyes. The image has a more natural feel to it than the second.

Thread Information