Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

The Tree in the Fork. . . B&W

A shot of a tree in a fork in a road. Shot in color on a dismal overcast day and converted to B&W. Adjustment of chanels to stimulate the erie feel of the location and a soft focus added to further enhance this desired effect. All comments welcome . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Tree in the Fork. . . B&W-lndscp0104-250103bwweb.jpg  
    Last edited by gahspidy; 03-21-2004 at 10:43 PM. Reason: wrong pic
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Definitely has that Tim Burton / Sleepy Hollow thing going on, but I think there's a bit too much haloing around the main tree branchings. Just a tad less softness and it would hit the mark I'd say....
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

I agree with the haloing, needs to be a bit crisper. I'd probably shrink the levels a tad too, get more contrast, right now it seems too subdued and blurry, in a way that looks like its a mistake, like its not on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    Definitely has that Tim Burton / Sleepy Hollow thing going on, but I think there's a bit too much haloing around the main tree branchings. Just a tad less softness and it would hit the mark I'd say....
    Thanks for your comments. . .here goes a slightly less softened version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Tree in the Fork. . . B&W-lndscp0104-250103bwxweb1.jpg  

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    I agree with the haloing, needs to be a bit crisper. I'd probably shrink the levels a tad too, get more contrast, right now it seems too subdued and blurry, in a way that looks like its a mistake, like its not on purpose.

Thanks for your time and comment. . .here is a less soft version . . .

gary

Third trip back

This is my third trip back to this photograph. First let me say that my first impression was not favorable. However after you posted an edited version I have come to like your image more and more. It does have a certain feel of mystery about it that is good. The first version was just far too dark and lacking any detail for me to like it much. The second has given the image more life and even though I am still struggling with some elements of the photograph I appreciate what you are doing with the photo. Nice thought provoking image.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    This is my third trip back to this photograph. First let me say that my first impression was not favorable. However after you posted an edited version I have come to like your image more and more. It does have a certain feel of mystery about it that is good. The first version was just far too dark and lacking any detail for me to like it much. The second has given the image more life and even though I am still struggling with some elements of the photograph I appreciate what you are doing with the photo. Nice thought provoking image.
    Thanks for your time to respond with your indepth and honest thoughts. I also feel the first post had too much soft focus applied and am very satisfied with the second edit. I realize this shot is'nt for alot of people butI'm glad you feel the" essence" of what it is I sought to convey with this shot in the first place. Thanks again

gary

Thread Information