Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Tree in the Field

A tree in a clearing surrounded by green ground cover with blue skies above, caught my eye. Hope it catches yours. All comments and critiques welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tree in the Field-lndscp0404-1503xweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Wow! The colour is amazing! Did you punch up the saturation or is this how it appeared? I love the straw cloured sweep of grasses beween the green and blue sky. This is a beautiful study of colour and once again I enjoy the textures. It is a shame that the bottom right hand branches come into the distant bushes. Have you thought about removing the distant growth in PS? Once again, like in the last post this may not work, but maybe it will reduce the slight 'busyness' of that side. Overall this is great and as you hoped - definately caught my eye!

Fran

oopps - should have re-read before I posted - excuse my typing errors!

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    The colors are beautiful, but for such bright colors, the scene is still very desolate. It seems to need something... maybe the tree is a bit too busy with so many branches and with the bush and everything. It's a decent shot and I do love the colors though.

Quote Originally Posted by frannymac
    Wow! The colour is amazing! Did you punch up the saturation or is this how it appeared? I love the straw cloured sweep of grasses beween the green and blue sky. This is a beautiful study of colour and once again I enjoy the textures. It is a shame that the bottom right hand branches come into the distant bushes. Have you thought about removing the distant growth in PS? Once again, like in the last post this may not work, but maybe it will reduce the slight 'busyness' of that side. Overall this is great and as you hoped - definately caught my eye!

Fran
    the colors were that strong, I just tweaked out some contrast with curves adj a bit which did seem to bring the colors out even more yet without saturating them. I know what you mean about the brushes in the bg under the branches. I tried to work it out is psp but it is just so detailed it would be too tedious. I think less dof and maybe a slightly different angle would help this shot. I may go back there again soon.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by darkrainfall
    The colors are beautiful, but for such bright colors, the scene is still very desolate. It seems to need something... maybe the tree is a bit too busy with so many branches and with the bush and everything. It's a decent shot and I do love the colors though.
    Most of my images do have a desolate look and feel,even in color. I guess it's what I'm drawn to and try to create.

gary

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    You do seem to be drawn to more desolate looks, but it's great... I feel like I could be walking down the street and see a desolate image on a poster and have to check to see if it's "A Gary Print"... It's very characteristic of your work, kind of like a trademark, but it's a good one. *smiles*
    As for this picture... I'd like to see it when you reshoot.

Very nice exposure and colors you've picked up. I would say the tree is twiggy enough that having the other trees and bushes in the background (especially on the right) is distracting to some degree. I'd clone them out if you can. The main tree is fairly busy in its own right, so you don't want it to compete for attention. Overall though a nice shot.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Nothing Dark about this...

I have commented in the past about the dark nature of many of your images. Nothing dark about this. Love your vibirant colors and the way the photo pops out at you. I like the way your subject tree dominates the image and helps frame the whole pictures. If I had any suggestion it would be to try a little tighter crop on the left perhaps, but this is minor. It may give the tree an even more dominate roll in the image. Very nice photograph.

Thread Information