Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tractor & Barn. Harriman, N.Y.

I would like to know your thoughts on this image. Shot with Kodak portra 400 VC and converted to b&w.

Last edited by mtbbrian; 06-26-2006 at 08:50 AM. Reason: UN Sticking As Featured Photo For 19 June 2006!!! Thanks Gary!!
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Tractor & Barn. Harriman, N.Y.

I like this Gary. The depth of field (no pun) is lovely with a splendidly deep background that is calm and peaceful. There is a nice track down through the field which carries you along and you want to follow it around, further than the eye can see. The tractor and building add humour for me, especially the tractor, as if it just rolled itself out there into the centre of the view to be star of the show.(and succeeds)
    Overall it's unusual in it's simplicity and that is why I like it soo much.
    Nice to see a photo of yours again.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond
    The tractor and building add humour for me, especially the tractor, as if it just rolled itself out there into the centre of the view to be star of the show
    Tom
    Exactly! In fact, the building is framed in such a way that I almost get the impression that it is going after the tractor. The composition is clean and very simple yet it has a certain oddness that makes the photograph fairly different from an usual rural scenery.

Seb

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Well Gary!!!!!
    Glad to see you are still out there!
    I have kind of missed seeing your photographs and reading your comments!
    Not much to add beyond what Seb and Tom have already said...
    There is a certain humorous element to it!
    Don't Be A Stranger!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Hey Gary, great comp. Can't add anything that hasn't been said already. Bravo!
    John

Hi Gary,
    Very glad to see your photo. The tone and contrast effectively depict the misty atmoshpere. The tractor is the element which reminds us the place is in the modern time. The path in the distant adds the DoF of the shot a lot. I have difficulty in the perspective of the roof, which seems strange to me, however, it gives a sense of cubism. I also like the contrast between the 3-D house and the 2-D tractor. Well done!
    yoyo
    Last edited by Yoyo Szeto; 06-16-2006 at 08:54 AM.

Hi Gary,

Glad to see you're still around. I like most things about this shot. I really like the composition. As Seb said, it's different from a typical rural scene, which I find refreshing. The DOF is great. I think it needs a bit more contrast, but that may just be a personal preference. The way it is, I think it has an old timey feel, so that makes me think an older tractor would be more fitting...if that makes any sense. Anyway, this is all just nit picking, because that's all I can do. Overall, I like it a lot.

Paul

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I'll go against the grain (a little ) by saying that, although I get a sense of a hot humid summer day feeling with it, I wish it had more contrast. I love how that path in the background leads to and connects with the tractor and perhaps some contrast would enhance that effect.

Love the spot light effect on the tractor.

Always enjoy seeing your work.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thanks all for the comments. I have been browsing the boards from time to time but had been tied up with things, not to mention computer problems as well. It's good to see alot of fine work posting here as well as many new members.

Tom . . . your good sense of humor has spotted some and now you have let me in on it as well. I certainly was going for an odd/unusual composition. Thanks for your time and good words , Tom.

Seb . . .Both you and Tom have me smiling at this scene now. Glad you find this odd as you know that is what I'm after. what do you think about the point brought up by Paul about more contrast? It looked good in PS, but here on the forum I agree it seems to want a slight boost. Thanks Seb.

Brian . . .Yes, i am still out here. . but have not been able to do much shooting or commenting. I have been browsing the boards occasionally and have been seeing great works and lots of new members. It's always good to be back here. Thanks

John. . . Thanks for your comment. i have been seeing good work posting from you, especially the picture "Reflections" Keep up the great work

Yoyo . . .Glad to know what you think about this. The day was dull and overcast and i had to post process to get the misty atmosphere effect. It's good to know you find it effective.
    If you don't mind, could you elaborate a bit more on the perspective of the roof. thanks for your time Yoyo.

Paul . . .I also feel it could use a bit more contrast seeing it here and I most likely will do that a bit before printing.Thanks for your analysis and good words.

Loupey . . .Yes, the contrast issue is well taken , and I think a bit more would work well. Glad to know your feeling on it, and thanks for the time.

gary

Hi Gary,
    The roof and the walls seem to be viewed from 2 different viewing angles. It could be the house is poorly maintained or intentionally built in that way.
    yoyo

Gary,
    I like the composition here and I like how you framed a geometric picture from so many organic elements. What I don't care for, however, is what appears to be a huge amount of lens flare up top. I'm sure you're competing with a certain amount of summer haze, but it really seems like the angle you shot from really caused the sunlight to bounce around in your lens in an ugly way. I could be mistaken and it could just be haze, but given where the sun is, and how soft and flat the affected areas are, I would want to reshoot with a lens hood or with the sun at a different location.
    I hate to pick your shot apart since it's otherwise very nicely done, but I just don't see it hanging on the wall of a gallery in its current form.
    I would definitely be interested in seeing this re-shot.
    Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

I like the composition, but the photo looks flat. I think it could use some more contrast.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

The composition here is fantastic and the path leading off into the distance really works well. The only issue is the contrast. If the upper right had the same contrast as the tractor it would work a lot better. I don't know if it was haze or lens flare or just a bit blown out for some reason, but it is a distraction.

Great shot overall though!
    Marty in Central Illinois - The Land of Corn and Flatness!

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    what do you think about the point brought up by Paul about more contrast? It looked good in PS, but here on the forum I agree it seems to want a slight boost.
    More contrast? Honnestly, I really don't know! My very first impression was that it did lacks contrast but I got very comfortable with the shot after viewing it few times. I guess that you could afford a slight contrast boost but nothing dramatic.

Seb

I would not adjust anything Gary. There is adequate contrast exactly where it is needed ie the tractor and foreground.
    If I were to start adjusting anything I would select the trees all round and give a little contrast or just darken ever so slightly.
    I am so enjoying this shot.
    The barn looks as if it is totally pissed off with the tractor.
    Tom

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Seemingly a long time, Gary.

The increasing haze to the top of the hill gives distance, and thus depth, to this image of a proud, young tractor near his home.

Tuna

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Hi Gary!
    Just wanted to add in my two cents here. This has your stamp all over it, scrupulously neat and tidy. I like the interpretations I have been reading from your other commenters and after looking at it I can't shake off Tom's interpretation - sort of a "Brave Little Tractor" kind of feeling. The mottling haziness along the top isn't a big selling point for me but I like the composition and "feel" of the scene.

Always great to view and review your work Gary!

Regards,
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Congrats, and glad to see your still around. Simple, yet elegant as always. Well done.

Brian, the featured photo!? Well, thanks, must be a welcoming back gift ;) I do appreciate it, however.
    thanks to all for your time to comment and add your advice and thoughts.
    McMadCow, there is no lens flare here but rather the sky was blown out due to a hazy gray day, and the flare you see is part of post processing of mine to create a mood from a otherwise blown out sky.

Here is a slightly adjusted version taking into account most of the comments for improvement. slight contrast increase, tone down the sky flare, etc. . .
    how goes it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tractor & Barn. Harriman, N.Y.-0606-3301x.jpg  
    Last edited by gahspidy; 06-19-2006 at 10:11 AM.

gary

learning member

[QUOTE=Overbeyond]I would not adjust anything Gary. There is adequate contrast exactly where it is needed ie the tractor and foreground.

I totally agree w/Tom up to this piont.The low contrast beyond the subject creates emphasis and mood thats hard to come by. Unless you're real good!
    Well deserved sticky,
    Mark

Brian, the featured photo!? Well, thanks, must be a welcoming back gift ;) I do appreciate it, however.
    thanks to all for your time to comment and add your advice and thoughts.
    McMadCow, there is no lens flare here but rather the sky was blown out due to a hazy gray day, and the flare you see is part of post processing of mine to create a mood from a otherwise blown out sky.

Here is a slightly adjusted version taking into account most of the comments for improvement. slight contrast increase, tone down the sky flare, etc. . .
    how goes it?
    Hi Gary
    Your adjustments have not improved the image for me and now the barn and especially the tractor have been over done. They were perfect as they were.
    Gary, what was your own feelings on the original and which do you feel is best now?
    Tom

Have to agree with Tom on this one gary, there seems to be too much contrast now. Somewhere in between the two would be spot on i feel. I even think tweaking the original with Unsharp mask would do the trick, just enough to give it a little more definition.

Lovely photo, really really nice.

cheers
    anew.

GB1

Gary - Strangely compelling shot... The black and white forces me to look at the strong geometrics, and the exposure is quite soothing also, cept for the bright area at the top right - it sort of bursts the ballon for me. I might crop out some or all of the top to elim that bright area, see what you get.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Funny thing is, when i view the second version first i like it immediately. but then when i compare it to the first version i get mixed feelings. Also, when i edited the second version it was not quite as contrasty. But when i converted to jpeg, srgb (color space) it lost shadow detail, which did not happen with the first version. Perhaps the white frame of the original kept the conversion from adjusting too much contrast? Anyhow, i like the sky best in the second version, and the increased contrast, however, I do feel it is slightly too much and will reduce some of it in the trees of the bg. For me, the second version is more striking and approaches more accurately what i want from this scene.

gary

Liz

Somehow I missed this photo so I'm glad it won the featured photo because I wouldn't have wanted to miss it.

I really like this. The composition is great, the tonality. Initially I thought it needed a bit more contrast, but then I wondered what it looked like in real life that day - to you? Did it have more contrast than what you got in the image? Just curious. The first image has more of a "mystique" about it.

ETA. Took another look. It has just enough foreground in it, and I LOVE the path leading away from the subject. The background seems to fade - just like the path. I think this is what makes the subject stand out - without more contrast.

The more I looked at the image, the better I like it. Actually when I saw the 2nd photo, I realized how much I really like the first. It's a great photo, great. I love your style Gary.

Liz

Funny thing is, when i view the second version first i like it immediately. but then when i compare it to the first version i get mixed feelings. Also, when i edited the second version it was not quite as contrasty. But when i converted to jpeg, srgb (color space) it lost shadow detail, which did not happen with the first version. Perhaps the white frame of the original kept the conversion from adjusting too much contrast? Anyhow, i like the sky best in the second version, and the increased contrast, however, I do feel it is slightly too much and will reduce some of it in the trees of the bg. For me, the second version is more striking and approaches more accurately what i want from this scene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information