Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Tour de France No 2

Second photo today .. the only thing I have done to it is to rotate it to a near diagonal to give it a touch more dynamism.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tour de France No 2-tour-de-france-no-2.jpg  

Re: Tour de France No 2

Maybe a little on the extreme side - both in blur and presentation. But I like it.

I don't know if I would have known it was a bicyclist if you hadn't said - but not sure if I would have cared. Still would have been an interesting image.

Tuna

Mike-
    I like the photo, the tilt may be a little much... I was also wondering is the blur all done with shutter speed? What settings were you using?

shane

Dear Mike,

I like the motion in this photo. The blur of colors, and the static background. I would agree with Tuna that the rotate is a little extreme, less might be nicer, though it is nice even with the degree of tilt you gave it. All right, so I can't make up my mind ! Good work.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Nikon Newby

I really like the tilt, i often find myself tilting my camera to make things a bit crazy. I dont like the amount of blur though. I think it would have been better if you could still identify something on the riders other than just general color. I perfer a slight blur in sports shots, still know whats going on, but know that something moving too.

Photographic Lifestyle

Nice work, maybe try a technique i saw at a gallery once. Ill find out who it was, quite famous, basically rotated the camera with the motion to keep a sence of focus while still capturing a sence of speed and dynamic.

Nikon Newby

Panning? Slow shutter speed, and move the camera with the action, creates a blured background. and as you said, keeps the subject in focus. creates a good sense of speed

Thanks for all the comments. At least it generated some interest! The story is that I was trying to get an extreme blur - those guys tear up and down the Champs D'Elysses at well over 25mph (which is something on a bike). I have panned shots etc - this one I just set a shutter speed of around 1/30 and kept the camera stationery. It is extreme good luck that I managed to get the Yellow Jersey holder completely in frame. Thanks too for comments about the angle of rotation. I will experiment with this as I might include the print in my camera club's next print competition and I want to get it right. Cheers guys.

Thread Information