Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seb

three windows on the night

This is a photograph from my recent session of "apparitions" experimentation though there are no ghosts in this one!

comments are welcome

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Re: three windows on the night

I like how the windows repeat and through the windows each one has a different scene of sorts in it. But i think the focus gets lost because of the darkness of the foreground. What was your idea behind this. Or did you just see the shot and take it.

Seb,

I do like this photo it gives me a feeling of remote aloofness looking at the world going by, or possibly a hermits view of the world. I also like the light shinging through the viewing gallery which adds to the feeling of remoteness of the world.

As for the photo the light through the window on both side is excellent and I would not like that to change, but I would like to see a little more definition of the wall so a light fill flash just to give a better highlight of the wall itself, which is a little dark. When I say a little, I mean very little as you are almost there on my monitor.

Roger

PS what are the square rigged ships under full sail in the left window?

And the face looking out of the lake in the right window?
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

I love nocturne images. You've done a good job at controlling the exposure so that you don't lose the detail in the background. I don't mind the dark foreground because it makes you want to look out the windows but has interest from the "light shadows" that fall on the floor in front of it. Nice shot!
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

I'll be the voice of dissent here. I like the image a bit darker with a bit more red. This moves the attention away from the wall (although it's nice to keep some detail in the wall) and onto the triptych of external scenes with a deep, glowing sky and nice complementary light spilling into the interior. Seems much more a late evening shot to me.
    ----------------------------

Seb

Hello everyone, This web version of my photograph is brighter than the full resolution image and a print I just made of it. Shift in colors and lighting happens when I save for the web (that's something I never figured out, it seems unavoidable). There are pictures where the shift is barely noticeable and others where it is quite obvious. In this case, the shift was obvious but I didn't tried to correct it as I felt ok with how it looked.

Themage: Thanks for commenting. I was wandering arround these ruins observing how the artificial lighting of the street interacted with it while I caught that view so this is more a "I shot what I saw" kind of picture although I carefully located my camera to get the best view in the windows and to avoid flare. I bracketed for this one but I find that even brighter walls somewhat distract from the view in the windows.

Rogers: Thanks for the imput. There are houses on the left side of the frame and small wharfs in the backyard of there property to acces water. As for the right window, I am unable to see the face you are reffering at. That's kind of freaky! Was there a "thing" downthere??? I guess that the best way to get brigher walls would be to reshoot earlier but then I would compromise the night sky. It would end up being a different picture.

CLKunst: Thanks for commenting. I'll try to correct the web version of the picture so it match my print to give you a better idea of how I really meant that scene to be. The walls, are darker although they remain fairly detailed.

Chunk: Thanks for commenting, the print I made of this picture may actually be what you are looking for. Stay tuned as I will submit a tweaked version later.

Seb

Thanks seb always nice to hear stories behind the photographs.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I like it Seb.
    It's almost as if each window is showing three totally different scenes, but of course they aren't.
    I like the blue of the sky, this is technically a fine photograph.
    I also like the fact that there are three windows, it seems that three of the same elements in a photograph makes for an excellent composition.
    I'll have to take a look at the other photographs you have posted of this.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Seb, I like the image alot and it has lots of interesting elements and mood. The almost bland color interior contrasts well against the violet blues of the night outside. The tall building in the left window adds much to this as well. also the shadow play in the foreground adds alot. The only thing I would have liked differently, and I feel this is not a critique but rather a personal preference, would be to have shot the windows up higher in the frame and included more foregound. This would have taken the windows out of the center line in the frame and given more of the shadowplay and interior dimension as well. The exposure looks just right to me and i would not change a thing.
    And I say hey man, Nice Shot.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Seb

Face is in window on the right - follow the light reflectup to the mouth which is open, the rock just below the rail is the nose and the two black eyes are just above the rail.

Roger - or of course it could be my warped mind!
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

Seb

Themage: No problem!

Brian: Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Gary: Thanks for your imput. On a technical note, I couldn't stand further away from the wall, otherwise I fall a couple of feet lower on a slab of concrete (which wouldn't be gear friendly, nor Seb friendly...). I could set my tripod to a much lower height and see if it works. I think you have a good idea here.

Roger: I just saw it, that's freaky!

For what it worths, I added this second version, which is a rather good approximation of how the original and the print looks like (on my monitor at least...) The shadows aren't blocked on the print and it is more detailled but it gives a general idea.

regards

Seb

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Too dark, I think the detail in the walls makes this photograph more interesting.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

To dark inside the ruin. I prefer the original which seems brighter than I remember it, perhaps I was looking at it in sunlight so did not get the best presentation of the photo.

So keep it as is for me.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Seb

Looking back at this with proper lighting, I realize that the second version was off. Here is a third one that truly represent the print I got. I stop bothering you with this one after that ;)

Seb

I like this last one best. . . just the right amount of detail in the interior.

gary

That looks great Seb.
    ----------------------------

You nailed the exposure here, Seb. Very nice, moody shot - giving us a very nice feel for where you were and how it was when you where there.

Tuna

Seb

Thanks guys!

I'll go back there for some more experimentation as soon as the weather is permitting (it's been raining rather hard since friday...)

Seb

Seb,

the last one is spot on exactly the right amount of detail in the walls.

Learnt a lesson from this post of not looking at photos when the sun's really bright, tends to hide things

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Sticky ! Way to go Seb. Well deserved . . .

gary

Well spotted, and very sharp. I like the concept on how you repeat each windows with a different scene of it. Good job, Seb!

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Sticky for Sure!!

I loved this one from the get go Seb! Congrats on the sticky! It is well deserved.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Seb

Re: Sticky for Sure!!

Roger, Gary, Fenilyn, CLKunst, thanks for your support! The generous contribution of the people downthere help me to envolve in my photography.

regards

Seb

Congrats in the Feature

Hi Seb,

Just wanted to give you props for the photo. It is a creative image with rich colors and nice variation and rhythm. Very nice job.

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Hmmm, I still can't see the face in the right window and I would like to. Can you make arrows and circles and point it out? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Roger: I just saw it, that's freaky!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information