Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Thread Machine

Thread Machine

I found this machine interesting for some reason and I probably spent a good 15 minutes taking exposures at different shutter speeds. I'll spare everyone and only post one for comment. I thought this particular shot was a decent balance on color and movement- you can see there definitely is movement. The lighting was difficult since this machine was actually under a tent. This is a unedited jpg off the camera, I have this image in a RAW format also but I have not photoshopped it yet.
    Please feel free to comment and critique.

:idea:

Re: Thread Machine

The problem with complex machines is that you require a portable studio with multiple lights and/or soft boxes to light them properly. Failing that, a strong fill flash would at least have helped.

Ronnoco

MB1

I like the strong colors of the threads and the way they lead to a single point.

I would try cropping a tiny bit off the right, everything off the top above the brass fitting that the threads are leading to and everything to the left starting at and including the 2 vertical pipes/supports.

That would leave the colorful bobbins, some well lit gears and a few darker areas to balance the image.

Great suggestion... I definitely will try cropping it down. I have many other exposures of this machine also, I may post some of those in comparison.

Your image seems too busy to me. I think if you cropped it down to a segment of the image it might hold my interest more. The metal poles on the left are distracting.

Jim B.
    Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.

George Burns

OK try this one out... cropped down and made some subtle changes. I have another shot of this I may post to this thread that is slightly less blurred, I set the shutter speed a bit higher... you can still see movement but the bobbins aren't as blurred as this shot.

I like it and the motion is more obvious. What do you think?

Jim B.
    Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.

George Burns

4XTaco:

I much prefer the cropped version. As others have said, this image eliminates much of the distraction and focuses on the real subject. I like this shot because the subject is so unique and envy your time with a fun element such as this. I find the background, upper right now to be distracting but that can be taken out; the hard shadow across the right side of the image now seems to be too much. I realize the conditions are limiting so maybe Ronoco's comment about fill flash is well placed. Regardless, I like the movement of the gears at the bottom, the thread, bobbins, etc. Shows action.

Thanks for sharing.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

The cropped version is better. It brings us the colors of the thread and the gears. Eliminates the distractions.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I agree... Fill flash would have helped greatly. The cropped version I do like much better than the original. I may try to lighten the dark areas and see what happens. Overall I think it is a huge improvement.

Thanks Everyone!

I agree with the cropped version being better. I would also like to see the whole machine and bustle of the operator.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I actually do have an exposure of the entire machine... operator was no where near the machine. They pretty much set them up and let them run without interference until a bobbin runs out.

Thread Information