Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Tension

Tension

Part of a bridge in Boston ... all comments welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    I like your composition, it makes for a nice abstract. I also enjoy the range in tonality that you have achieved (although the darker zones may lack some details). The only thing that bugs me is the significant light fade off (or vignetting??) occuring in the upper left corner.

regards

Seb

the fading

is from the window tinting on the front windshield (where I took the photo from while I was in HEAVY traffic) I guess I could always burn it in evenly all around if it created a distraction...thanks for looking and offering your input...
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Seb
    is from the window tinting on the front windshield (where I took the photo from while I was in HEAVY traffic) I guess I could always burn it in evenly all around if it created a distraction...thanks for looking and offering your input...
    I haven't even thought that it could have been shot from your car! You have a clean windshield to say the least lol. I am somewhat surprised by the sharpness and lack of any distortion/reflection considering how you shot it.

regards

Seb

great shot

Nat I really enjoy this one! While there is a ton of traffic here going over the SF Bay Bridge and Golden Gate... my windshields are never clean enough to attempt!
    I really like the off center positioning. While I dont think the upper left is too distracting, I think that overall if the pic were a little brighter/sharper it would only enhance this awesome shot!

Thanks for sharing!

VillenaDeCorte

Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Your photo captures well the strengh needed to support this bridge. This title is perfect.

it reminded me of one of your shots

the one you sent when we exchanged shots...it had the same feel...glad you liked it...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

the upper right and left corners are generally the only clean areas on our car-- he he---inside or out...

try it you'll like it.... here's the sharpness increased and "lightened" a bit...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

This is a really well composed and framed shot . I like the original unlightened version, and I like the darker area on top left as it adds a certain feel of drama to go along with the tension of the cables. The tinted area in the upper windshield is similiar to a polarizer on a lens. try looking up at the clouds through the tinted area sometime and you will see how it brings out the detail and definition.
    Good Shot, Natalie
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

this is a great shot without any modifications. but something for you to experiment with...

rotate the image some 10-30 degrees so that the cables are then 'holding' the angled structure in place and keeping it from 'falling over'. currently, the image orientation makes the stucture look pretty stable and so the cables are not 'needed'. this may make the image more dynamic by creating more tension within the composition. (then again, it may not add anything.)

cheers!

I love it. The combination of the framing, along with the subtle tonality of the (first) B&W is really a cool effect. You should print one up for your office!
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information