Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Tell me what is missing from this fashion photo

I was playing with the new flash that I rented, and I like this photo. BUT, I know that I missed the mark and the overall photo doesn't work.

I would like your opinions on what I missed and what you would like to see from this shot if I could do it over.

The first thing that I don't like is the fence and I think she doesn't interact with it enough.

Loren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tell me what is missing from this fashion photo-marj_fence.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 10-17-2004 at 07:12 AM. Reason: UnSticking as "Featured Photo" for 11 October 2004
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Ghost

Re: Tell me what is missing from this fashion photo

I don't think it's the fence so much but the fact that she's just blending right into the background. I agree with you about her not looking like she's into it at this point. The pose doesn't work for me either mostly because of the way she's holding her jacket thingy (let me know if I'm getting too technical for you! HAHA). It looks like something a man would do and combined with the erect pose it looks too masculine. Her knuckles aren't helping to keep it feminine either. But maybe you were after a tougher masculine look, inwhich case that's what you have.

What does work for me is the model herself, the lighting on the model, and her clothing. Just the pose and background needs work in my opinion.

It's still a good photo. I hope you get what you're looking for here and good luck with the reshoot

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    I was playing with the new flash that I rented, and I like this photo. BUT, I know that I missed the mark and the overall photo doesn't work.

I would like your opinions on what I missed and what you would like to see from this shot if I could do it over.

The first thing that I don't like is the fence and I think she doesn't interact with it enough.

Loren
    For me the distracting elements are the reflect in the glasses and the fact that she is almost looking down on us viewers... It's a VERY frontal shot! But then, I know next to nothing about fashion...

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

What Trevor said...

I think Trevor is on to something.
    From what it sounded like, she was new to modeling.
    So maybe you need to work with her on the posing aspect.
    Technically, it is a good photograph and she is an attractive woman.
    BTW, thanks for posting over here Loren. I appreciate it!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: What Trevor said...

I think it looks ver static. There is no tension in this shot. I imagine fashion photos to be much more active, catching some sort of "life" in the shot.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Loren
    I agree with what was said about the hands. You want to show more of the sides of her hands.. not the fronts.. ( IOW the curves of her fingers from the side)
    I think the jacket is too bulky for her.. and the straight-on shot helps to make her look more masculine. I would turn her body a 45 degree angle to the camera and maybe put her right arm high up on the links, and then turn her face towards the camera, and maybe facing down and eyes up to the camera or just to her left of the camera..

maybe i'm too tired to be posting... Not sure if this is explaining what I am thinking well enough...
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

WOW...thanks everybody for the advice.

Loren
    I have to give Marjorie credit, I was the one that directed her to be looking straight at the camera without much emotion. That's my fault. The clothing wasn't too good, and definitely needed to be changed, but it was the last shoot.

I missed, but after reading the advice I can make adjustments and to it over again.

Thanks so much,
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

The pose is the only thing that i feel takes away from what is otherwise a good shot. The lighting is fine
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Amateur Member

Angles.

I'm not much of a people photographer, but I think the same rules apply. This shot is static, not dynamic.

Shoot on an angle to the fence. Light it separately. Right now, the viewer's eye goes to the fence first, the hair second, then the model. It doesn't go to the clothes -- isn't that what you're trying to photograph?

Have the model keep her body parallel to the fence but turn her head to look at the camera (which is in a different position).

JMHO. I hope it helps.

Loren
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    Glenn Springer -- "Guns"
    2001 Honda ST-1100 "Sebastian"
    Zen Riders Founding Member/Zen Master
    VROC #2305(R) VE3YA
    Senior Motorcycle Instructor: Humber College
    Web Sites:
    www.zenriders.com (motorcycling)
    www.firstaidco.ca (first aid kits/supplies)
    www.be-seen.ca (reflective vests)
    www.guns.to (PAL courses & exams)
    eMail: "glenn" at any of the above domains
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hi, I think there are only two things preventing this photo from really working. First, I think the model looks great, but is in a rather stiff pose. This combined with the lack of headroom in the picture (and on the sides) I think just creates a little more tension when you view it than was probably intended. Maybe a relaxed pose and a little more space around the edges would help.

GB1

Pretty nicely done. But I have to admit that it looked a little better in the smaller photo as the featured photo than when I looked at the larger shot, probably because she looks more confident in the smaller shot. That can make a big difference, like she's going out on a Friday night and is going to raise HELL! ... that's confidence and is powerful. She looks close to it but not quite there.

Anyways, nice picture regardless. Exp is perfect.

Thread Information