Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer

Re: Summer

Quote Originally Posted by arne saknussen View Post
    Nice improvement on the face details.

My question, though, is what is the story you trying to tell? I see the potential "dressed up, but really rural" theme, but it doesn't quite live up to that. It's difficult to tell what she is doing. Is she tightening something, or just holding on?
    Thanks for the comment, arne, but not certain what she be doing? I'm not sure this kind of image needs a narrative that makes sense, though I could be dead wrong.

Anyway, seems that the mark was missed here. It happens. Appreciate the feedback very much.
    Last edited by draymorton; 06-12-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arne saknussen View Post
    Maybe a smudge of grease or two would help.
    Not a bad idea, actually.

IMO, everything about this image is right. The only issue here is the face that somehow took on a weird look due to expression and angle I would guess.
    I don't think its impossible at all to address that and after having a quick go at it I came up with something that I feel improved on that aspect. (this was a second go at it...)
    If interested I can post or email to you with explanation of edit
    I do think your last edit is improved a bit, so yep right direction.,
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton View Post
    Thanks for the comment, arne, but not certain what she be doing? I'm not sure this kind of image needs a narrative that makes sense, though I could be dead wrong.

Anyway, seems that the mark was missed here. It happens. Appreciate the feedback very much.
    Its just that I see a girl dressed in a gown and I see a tractor but no real connection between them. That's just how I view some photos, especially ones that introduce an interesting environment.
    For lack of a better example, this shot reminds me of a Norman Rockwell scene. But just give her a wrench or something to connect her to the environment.
    This must be a good shot or I wouldn't keep coming back to it.

Thanks both.

Gary - sure, go ahead and post. Appreciate the time you've taken on it. I'm actually thinking that, in some ways, might second edit might be moving away from the desired result. I wish this one were salvageable - maybe with some hoodoo and a bit of fair wind it could be, I dunno.

Arne - I see what you're saying now. I guess I wasn't trying to connect her to the environment (though that isn't a bad idea). I think I originally wanted that incongruity factor - model displaced and disconnected. I think the grease smudge(s) would've been a great idea, though.

GB - thanks for the comment. She's not turning anything. Just hanging on. Again - model displaced. Too dark at the low end of the spectrum, definitely.

I'm not sure what happened with the face - lighting, angle, I don't know. I'm reminded of something my friend Rian said to a model on a shoot once: "Wait - what's that on your face? Oh, it's your face." In all seriousness, though, she's a beautiful girl, so it's definitely my fault. I'd love to go back and shoot her in this exact situation again, with better lighting, a reasonable makeup job, or whatever, but that might be awhile.

May or may not be the direction you want to go, but I thought it helped.
    Basically took in the puffiness of the face with the liquify tool. Opened the eye lids a bit especially her right eye. Darkened iris and pupils. Brought out a bit more white from the whites of the eyes. closed gap between lips and centered the gap a bit more....blah blah blah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Summer-t_walterhacks.jpg  

gary

Gary, a belated thanks for editing and reposting. I think your work goes a long, long way in fixing things. I'd like to know more specifically how you did what you did, because you did a helluva job - dare I say, the impossible.

The only thing is that is looks less like her than before. This image pisses me off because I actually like the rest of it. Wish I could redo with better light, makeup, and direction (from my end).

Gary's edit is impressive, but the crop seems to take away from the bygone era the original was trying to convey. I think opening up the crop and a little treatment on the environment would complete what I believe was dray's intent...the fact that the girl no longer looks like the model is only a consequence to the photographer and the model - anyone else viewing the image will never know.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

I think you would do a better job of it than this and tweak it so the expression and look resembles her more accurately than what I achieved here.

I should have pointed out that the crop is not part of my edit/suggestions. I only cropped it tighter so you could see the adjustments to the face more clearly. I agree with Ken, and personally would not crop this at all. The beauty of the image is this woman in this setting.

D, I went at this with the liquify tool. I used the Forward Push brush (located on top) I used a large brush on the cheeks to reduce the "swelling" by taking them in and sculpting a bit of jawline while I was at it. I took in both sides including the cheek bones. Basically narrowed the entire face. I lifted the chin up with the same brush. This brought back some roundness to the face as it was but without the "puffy" roundness now.

The eyes, same tool/brush but zoom in close 100-300% and use a very small brush open the eye lids top and bottom make sure to allow the iris and pupil to stretch with this adjustment to "normal" proportions to the amount the lids and eyes have opened up. Zoom out ocassionally to see how its going and get an idea of how the eyes are taking shape. Pull down her right cheek a bit with a lerger brush starting a bit below her eye. That also aleviates that puffy look.

Mouth, same brush raise the top of the lower lip up by pushing it little by little with intent to decrease the space between the lips and also making the largest part of the gap in the center. This gap was off center (on her right side) and caused the mouth to have a strange expression. Pull down the top lip a bit to shape and decrease its size a bit. With a dodge brush set to midtone, feathered and strength about 12% lighten the shadows under the top lip on her right side. Dodge in the lower lip with a smooth round curve to give it a pleasing shape. Using a very small burn brush set to shadow burn in a slight outline around the lower lip emphasizing the shape.

Return to eyes with the burn brush set to midtone and darken the irises. Set burn brush to shadows and enlarge the pupils. Dodge brush set to midtone, whiten the whites of the eyes slightly.

Lastly, I used the clone brush set to 15% opacity and a flow of about 25% to gradually do away with the shadow under her right eye. Not completely though, some shadow remaining looks natural.

I felt the dodge and burn tool were adequate for the small areas that they were used for. If we were dodging and burning much larger areas I'd opt for creating a layer set to soft light blend mode and brush in using black or white foreground brushes for a non destructive tact. I don't think thats needed here.

gary

I drool in jealousy. The textures on those tires are a fantastic foil to the soft tones everywhere else. This is really nice.

Her eyes ...it's almost like the color of the Marylyn Manson's left eye.

Wow! Thanks, G. I'll give it my best shot, though I fear this image may be like Mina's soul: it can't be saved.

Looking at older pictures, I think I've pieced together what happened, but that wouldn't be an appropriate topic to address here.

Thanks for stopping by, daq. It's great to see you around again.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
    Her eyes ...it's almost like the color of the Marylyn Manson's left eye.
    Haha... great line. I think I'll use that next time I go out clubbing.

Thanks for the comment, brutha. And I agree, btw - way too light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information