Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Subway Ride

Subway Ride

Not sure what I think about this one. It has a little bit of an unusual crop with the person at the top right. I think the lighting is pretty decent for a subway car as to get enough light I had to shoot at 1/30 sec f 2.8 ( of 2.0). Any suggestons would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think this is a very interesting shot.

I like the DOF and how you managed to capture the people on the subway immersed in their own thoughts. The woman in the top right adds to the feel of the commute. The B&W gave it that urban edge. I like the lines that are created by the subway car and the people.

An excellent shot.

Is that Nurse Rachet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Widen
    Not sure what I think about this one. It has a little bit of an unusual crop with the person at the top right. I think the lighting is pretty decent for a subway car as to get enough light I had to shoot at 1/30 sec f 2.8 ( of 2.0). Any suggestons would be appreciated.
    Since the only time I rode a subway was about 35 years ago, I don't recognize the setting - just see that it looks like an uncomfortable looking place crammed with bored people. The crop of the lady the right gives her a looming, foreboding look. Did you use a longer lens to make the folks stacked up like that?

Nice image

I love your feel for the everyday scene. You are able to breath life into the most mundane situation. The figure leaning in on the right give this image it's life and feel of reality. With out her the image in rather bland. Excellent use of DOF and depth perception. Well done once again Gerry

Good stuff!

I really like city, urban, shots... as I call them gritty! I am enjoying the woman at the top, it gives you the "whoa! you're-in-my-personal-space" feel the train can have.
    The lighting is very reflective of the setting, I think it works great.

The only thing I find distracting is the train lights in the back. They are really bright, and my eyes travel to them a lot.

Did you take more than one? I would be interested in seeing more of these!

Cheers!

VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Seb
    I don't think that the picture would be nearly as dramatic without the woman at the right (as it was already said) but I like it a lot the way it is. The crop do is unusual and this is a very good thing in this case. I also think that the grain and the lighting work fine in this situation.

regards

Seb

Always glad to see your work. I like the diagonal feel to the composition and the combination of the woman's face at the upper right and the tight crop make this shot. DOF is great too and the background is smooth. Fairly long lens (as in 85 or so)?

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I agree the lights are a little distracting. This was scanned from a negative so when I get to the darkroom I'll burn them in a little. The shot was taken with a 50mm lens. I think the compression is caused by both the closeness to the people and using an lens opening of 2.8 which limits the DOF. This shot was taken at the same time as a shot I posted a few weeks ago of a sleeping man that Megan recognized as the harmonica man I believe.

And that woman on the top right is my wife. Don't anybody tell her I posted this shot on the internet with her.

sneaky!

your wife! Thats cool! We wont tell! My hubby would flip his twinkie if I posted him without telling ;)

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I agree the lights are a little distracting. This was scanned from a negative so when I get to the darkroom I'll burn them in a little. The shot was taken with a 50mm lens. I think the compression is caused by both the closeness to the people and using an lens opening of 2.8 which limits the DOF. This shot was taken at the same time as a shot I posted a few weeks ago of a sleeping man that Megan recognized as the harmonica man I believe.

And that woman on the top right is my wife. Don't anybody tell her I posted this shot on the internet with her.

Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Your wife?? Oh...Er... Now that I look at this picture on a better monitor, she doesn't remind me of Nurse Rachet at all. More like a beautiful figurehead carved on the prow of a ship.

Thread Information