Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Nearly-alongside for the ride

A F-15 fighter image taken on 1 March 2004, in NW Florida, USA.
    (Some of the sky area was cropped out.)
    It is a test-wing aircraft.

Camera: Nikon N90s.
    Lens: AF 90mm f2.8 'D' Macro Tamron.
    Film: Agfa Vista 200.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nearly-alongside for the ride-001_x_27a_n90s_90mm_ag200_1mar04_f-15-564c.jpg  

You live near Eglin or Tyndal AFB I take it?
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Critique?

Quote Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    You live near Eglin or Tyndal AFB I take it?
    But what do you think of the photo? This is a critique forum.

Signed - The Critique Police
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Perpsective

Jerry-
    This is nice and sharp and the exposure is pretty good. But for me, it needs something to give the plane some context and perspective. That's the difference between a photo that will only interest airplane enthusiasts and a photo that other people will get excited about. I'd like to see some panning blur and some sort of background. Somehow I need to be shown the size, power, speed, or something else to make me interested in this plane. Right now it could almost be a line drawing. It's way to isolated and motionless.

I struggle with the same problem with my mountain bike photos. It's easy for me to take pictures that mountain bikers will appreciate. But the Holy Grail is the photo that makes anyone's jaw drop. I don't always try. They can't all be masterpieces. But I do try to look at my own photos through other people's eyes. It's hard, but it's an invaluable exercise if you want to make truly great photos.

Hope that's useful. So often, I don't know what to say about your photos. Technically they're always very good. But a lot of the time I find they just don't speak to me. I think that just now I had some understanding of why.
    Photo-John

I think Photo-John summed it up very well. I agree . . .
    Keep them coming Jerry, I feel your gonna hit us with a jaw-dropper sooner or later.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

He does

Actually, Jerry does some military stuff that really moves me. I think it's just that there can be two kinds of photos. There are sort of plain documentary ones like this, that are more literal about just showing us a thing in detail. But Jerry has posted some emotional military images that are really powerful. In those images it's really clear how much emotion he has invested in his military background. And those photos I really, really like. But it sure would be great if he could start to regularly get some of that emotion in photos like this. That would certainly move things up to another level.

I hope you're reading this, Jerry. I think we've had conversations along these lines in the past and we don't necessarily see eye to eye. But I can plead my case, anyway. There's room for different opinions and this is a critique forum, so when you post, you're asking for it ;)
    Photo-John

I like the shot. I must say that I am in the same corner as Jerry as I have been photographing military aircraft for more than 15 years already and I know how hard it is to get the correct angle on them and to get the picture tack sharp. These are moving targets and therefore difficult to capture. In that respect, I think Jerry did a good job on this F15C. But indeed, it's documenting, nothing dramatic.
    Cheers,
    Frank
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard drive?

Good to have a response form someone with a similar interest and background. I realize how hard it must mbe to make this kind of shot. So technically I'msure it's excellent. But I always want more. I like to have some context and meaning in a photo. And Jerry and I have been through it before. But I just decided it was time to harrass him a little again
    Photo-John

I agree with the others. I really like how sharp the plane is and the great detail, but at a glance, this could be a plane not even flying, with a white background put in. I think a building or something could give some neat prospective. I still think its way better than what I could take of a plane though.

Thread Information