Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Standing out

Standing out

Here is my very rough attempt with color on black and white, and so on. The first picture is the original, second is the (obvious) manipulation. Does this look good? Anything I should be doing better? Subject decent enough to do this on?

Let me know,

I'm open for anything.

Jared
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Standing out-dscf1092resized.jpg   Standing out-dscf1092-black-resized.jpg  

Re: Standing out

Jared buddy, this is beautiful. You have beat me already. My crap doesn't come close to this. The colors are beautiful, the contarst of the B&W is just right, the subject has depth and it looks natural. 2 small niggles however: You should have colored the leaf infront of the petals. That would have helped to blend the flower into the image a bit more and keep it from looking pasted in. Also the edeges of the flower are a bit to well defined. You need to blend them a bit with the blur tool. Otherwise I love it!
    Last edited by almo; 04-23-2005 at 06:08 AM.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    Here is my very rough attempt with color on black and white, and so on. The first picture is the original, second is the (obvious) manipulation. Does this look good? Anything I should be doing better? Subject decent enough to do this on?

Let me know,

I'm open for anything.

Jared
    Jared,

I find the manipulated version to be much more striking than the original (and I am not such a big fan of color against b&w work despite my deep appreciation of Gary's can series and my few personal attemps with the technique) so that must tell you something!

Actually, I think that the picture is very succesful and truly looks natural.
    Contrarily to Almo, I don't think that the flower edges need more blur. I mean, I guess that it would still looks right if you were to blur the edges some more but the picture already looks very natural to me. I agree about partly colorizing the front leaf though. It would have to be a gradient from color to b&w and it may be delicate to achieve.

Seb

Jared... Actually I can't decide which i like the most. They are both beautiful! You did a great job on the selective coloring, especially your first try! My suggestion was going to be to also color the flower in the back but not as bright.. much more subtle and you could also try only slightly desaturating the background so it still holds a tad of that gorgeous pink color... just for another flavor. Or you could have everything slightly muted looking and the front flower containing more contrast, light and sharpness.. Anyway you decide to go will be good because its a good composition and subject to begin with.
    Kit
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Both are great photos good work .

I love the soft natural color you have achieved in this photograph. Nice textures and the manipulated version is well done.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Wow, 6 hours of this thread and I already have half a dozen responses! Thank you everybody. I'd respond to everybody's personally, but I have to go make pizzas at school in 5 minutes, but let me say this. I'll definately try some other things in color, either a leaf, or another flower in the background. I was afraid that just having one was too 'in your face', but had trouble deciding which to make color too. I will try all these, and everybody, thank you for all your comments!!

Jared

Thread Information