Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    "Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

The Space Needle

Comments and advice appreciated...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Space Needle-012space-needle2.jpg  

Seb

Re: The Space Needle

Quote Originally Posted by PlantedTao
    Comments and advice appreciated...
    Great one PlantedTao, I really love your composition and your choice of framing. The grain is great too. There is one hot spot on the big wheel that seem to reflect too much light but that's a small flaw in an otherwise excellent picture.

Seb

Good composition, and great use of b&w. Perhaps a touch more space at the top just to give it a little more room to breathe? Nice work

matt

Nice shot, and the framing is bang on. Is that the moon in the background? I don't know what it is, but I think you should clone it out, it just wrecks the sky. I love how there's no clouds or anything and it's just on the blue sky. Great shot and wonderful angle,

Jared

Did you use a red filter? The sky is quite dark, almost too dark to work. Ideally the sky should be a deep gray, and this would set off the Space Needle. Under the circumstances however, you did very well. I like the perspective very much. The top portion of the Needle does however disappears alittle bit in the back. Maybe a lighter sky. I like it very much though. Oh, and what camera, film, etc.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Good composition Tao. I like it. I agree with giving a bit more space on top. Very easy to do with a digital file. The tones are great. Perhaps the sky is dark but it offsets the Needle very nicely. i was wondering the same as Jared as to whether that is the moon or not. Either way, it is too small to be effective and cloning it out would probably be best. Good Shot
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

As always, thanks for the advice everyone.
    Seb- Thanks for the compliment...yeah made my day!
    Matt- It could maybe use a bit more room, but for once I'm pretty happy with how the subject fills the frame.
    Jared- I know, the moon is kinda too small and wrecks a very unusual Seattle sky. Maybe the attached is more to your liking?
    Dzerzhinski- Totally have to disagree with you on the sky. This was the exact color and darkness that I was going for. Yes, a red filter was used with Ilford SFX 200 film. The camera was a Bessa R2 with Voigtlander 50mm 1.5
    Gary- I'll try and add some room to the top, but I really happy with the composition as it stands now. That is the moon and when printing this it will stay a part of the photo (yes even if it means I ruin the sky). I can not clone anything out as I feel I'm portraying a false reality to the viewer. Photographs to me are a moment in time that I have captured and would like to share with others, imperfections and all. But to appease my audience - here is the "corrected version". ;)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Space Needle-012space-needleedit.jpg  

To each his own. The main thing though is that you were going for a particular look and feel, and you got it. Very difficult to do all the time.

I am beginning to like it more now. It grows on you. Now I know that I am going to be a micro minority here, but I think the moon/blemish adds a little balance to the photo. It fills the empty space on the left hand side. Very nice picture.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

I'm gonna have to agree with Dzerzhinski on this one, I think the moon is good. Great angle and good job making such a common subject into a memorable picture.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Ah, with the moon gone I like it alot better. It fits perfectly. I might have preferred the moon if it was a little bigger, but with it being so small, it's an afterthought and to myself, annoying.

I love the new version though, nice shot.

Thanks Mr Yuck and Dzerzhinski - I was hoping someone would like the moon
    Mr.Yuck - I've been trying to come up with an interesting way to capture the needle for some time and I think I finally got a photo that works.
    Jared- sorry man, but the moon stays and I'm picking up a 8x12 print today.

Thanks for the help everyone...Cheers.

No worries It's your shot, and your the one that's going to be using it! So do as you like

Thread Information