Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Arrow Southwark Cathedral

This was shot at night. Opinions?

Canon PowerShot G2 w/ wide angle attachment
    1/20
    F2.0

"Southwark Cathedral or The Cathedral and Collegiate Church of St Saviour and St Mary Overie, Southwark, London, lies on the south bank of the River Thames close to London Bridge."

For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwark_Cathedral
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southwark Cathedral-102-0227_img_w600.jpg  
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Southwark Cathedral

well done - hand held I assume
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I really dig the patterns and the perspective you captured. I can just imagine how grand this place must be, even without anything for scale, it seems HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    well done - hand held I assume
    Yes, handheld with probably a minitripod leaning on my chest somehow for added control.

Thanks.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Some good textures, shapes, and colour but some Photoshop work is necessary. Detail and lighting needs to be improved toward the bottom, but one more serious problem.
    Wide angle distortion needs to be solved by using perhaps Dx0 Optics Pro or another Photoshop plug in. If you really know Photoshop you can use grid, skew, transform and do it yourself without a plug-in.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Some good textures, shapes, and colour but some Photoshop work is necessary. Detail and lighting needs to be improved toward the bottom, but one more serious problem.
    Wide angle distortion needs to be solved by using perhaps Dx0 Optics Pro or another Photoshop plug in. If you really know Photoshop you can use grid, skew, transform and do it yourself without a plug-in.

Ronnoco
    I agree that the color may need work since it probably isn't the true color of when the shot was taken. I'll see what I can do.

But.....

I'm having a hard time identifying distortion caused by the wide angle lens in this shot. I Can't see any lines with a severe curvature. Can you please point out a few details in the shot that result in wide angle distortion?

I like taking shots like this and I would like to do better in the future....thanks.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    I agree that the color may need work since it probably isn't the true color of when the shot was taken. I'll see what I can do.

But.....

I'm having a hard time identifying distortion caused by the wide angle lens in this shot. I Can't see any lines with a severe curvature. Can you please point out a few details in the shot that result in wide angle distortion?

I like taking shots like this and I would like to do better in the future....thanks.
    The side wall is tilting to the left and the line at the left front centre should be perpendicular rather than strongly leaning to the right with that whole section of the photo.
    That is characteristic of wide angle lenses. I have used them a lot myself and need to be very careful when working in churches.

Ronnoco

Great shot. The colours sure look real---I wasn't there so I wouldn't know the difference. Besides, who cares whether the colours are exact, unless you're the architect. I love the way the colours darken near the bottom and lighten near the top. Once again, this emphasizes eye movement towards the focal point. What I particularly like is the contrast between the softness of the tones and the strong converging lines. You should be very proud of this one.
    Robert

I'm with Robert, the colors are exquisite. Love the shot, I personally wouldn't change a thing.

Great shot, I've loved your recent photos!

Hi,
    I especially like the patterns and the colours of this shot. The geometric shapes are just wonderful. I wish the ceiling were a bit shaper but I understand that the light might not be that strong. Well done!
    yoyo

Thanks for everyone's opinion!

It's really hard to take these shots without a tripod....and I'm sure it shows. But I respect the locations I've been to. At least they let you shoot pics to begin with.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Thread Information