Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Should I try and crop this tighter?

Hi all...

I was wondering if anyone could find a better crop for this picture? It originally had about double the amount of sky, so I cropped down a bit.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Overall, it's a pretty good pic. It may indeed benefit from a tighter crop - framing just the rider's head and the horse's head.

Do you have other shots? A better image may well be one that is slightly more head on - with a little bit more exposure to avoid the shadow under the rider's helmet and to bring a bit more detail to the horse's head. Shooting into the sun may help you - expose for the shadows and fire away - you'll avoid the somewhat harsh lighting that you seem to have been dealing with here. All easier said than done of course - but, good luck!
    Sport in Essex in Pictures
    <a href="http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk"><strong>www.tgsphoto.co.uk</strong></a>

Recrop

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Hi all...

I was wondering if anyone could find a better crop for this picture? It originally had about double the amount of sky, so I cropped down a bit.

Thanks!

very nice picture. what do you think of this? I added a bit of contrast as well.

john
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    I think you should keep the information that you have here ( in the photo) and lose more sky, cropping just above her head. I agree with Almo that it needs more contrast as he has done, also I don't know if its my monitor but it's in both photos....... There is a vertical line that goes from her left hand all the way up... I'd clone that out, as its a bit distracting!

Rachel
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

I see more of a horizontal shot, depending on how much wider the original is. My version below is almost square, but if you had more on the ends to make it a horizontal 8x10, it would look pretty good. I tried to crop it as an 8x10 with the original shot posted (which you said you cropped already) and couldn't get it to work. I also brought in the black point just a little to increase contrast just a small amount. Also brought the mid tone to the left a couple notches. Nothing too much. What do you think?

Good crop another view.

And here's another one...
    Sport in Essex in Pictures
    <a href="http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk"><strong>www.tgsphoto.co.uk</strong></a>

Thread Information