Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Role Model

Role Model

I used my lunch break to take some shots in my father house...we chose the old couch wich had an interesting light through a pair of windows in a corner...usual model....my dad (he is always willing to pose LOL) the shots came out badly exposed and not as sharp as I would like....after some PP here is one of them.
    All C&C are welcomed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Role Model-dad2.jpg  

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Re: Role Model

Great shot Rob. Reminds me of a Boss or two of mine in the past after I had done something wrong. The first thing that comes to my mind when I look at it is "You talking to me"?. The lighting is great and the expression tops it. Nicely done, you definatly have the art for portraits.

Darin
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Hiker
    Great shot Rob. Reminds me of a Boss or two of mine in the past after I had done something wrong. The first thing that comes to my mind when I look at it is "You talking to me"?. The lighting is great and the expression tops it. Nicely done, you definatly have the art for portraits.

Darin
    LOL! "You talking to me" yeap my father has a strong look which contrast with his cheerful mood.
    Thanks a lot for you kind comments Darin:thumbsup:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Come on cant be that bad...is it?

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Don't know much about portraiture, but it looks good to me. Focus is good, lighting is pleasing to me. The only thing that I might do is to crop much of the right side to get him off center. I'm still looking for something to shoot...

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

The light in this is really very nice. Catching the texture in the hair really well. Very nice. Seems bit bluish to me, but not sure that isn't just the balance of white and black.

Quote Originally Posted by Shebang
    Don't know much about portraiture, but it looks good to me. Focus is good, lighting is pleasing to me. The only thing that I might do is to crop much of the right side to get him off center. I'm still looking for something to shoot...
    Thanks Paula...funny how we appreciate things differently, for me the subject is off center, there is more space to the right than to left. Cropping more will result in leaving the couch out of the composition?

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Quote Originally Posted by daq7
    The light in this is really very nice. Catching the texture in the hair really well. Very nice. Seems bit bluish to me, but not sure that isn't just the balance of white and black.
    Thanks Daq:thumbsup:
    The bluish I`m affraid it might be you monitor...the image is pure B&W according to PS

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Yeah, I repeat in concert with Paula, the light is really good. Is it natural or did you flash it at all?

Yeah, I repeat in concert with Paula, the light is really good. Is it natural or did you flash it at all?
    Anop...no flash at all, all natural...well that is kind of not true...I did not used flash but I should have....fill-in flash was adequate for the lighting conditions now that I think of it. The light came from 2 windows in a corner, the one in the back was closed but gave some light sideways that reflected in the wall of the second window which shutters were a bit opened.
    Half of the face was well illuminated while the other half was dark. The shots came out badly exposed do to the high light difference in the face. I assume using fill-in flash will aid the exposure and thus end up with a more natural roll-off of highlights and shadows.

After seeing my mistake on the monitor well corrected it with heavy PP work.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Love natural light portraits and this is definitely a good one.
    You could do some cropping to get him off center but its no biggy in this case.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Love natural light portraits and this is definitely a good one.
    You could do some cropping to get him off center but its no biggy in this case.
    Off center vertically Frog? I can add some blinds to the top.
    Sideways I can give it a little more room...maybe more space to the right?

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Well I see no flaws at all, but I am beginning to see how using flash to balance things out gives you a lot more options with raw and photoshop. It is a really great shot.

Here is the original shot...half of the face is too dark, if I have used some flash there the overall light will be more even which I assume leads to a better exposure which helps to avoid blown highlights and shadows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Role Model-p1270106.jpg  

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

It is a really great shot.
    Thanks!:thumbsup:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Rob, i like the original much better. I like it for the warm color and also the dark side of the face is fine, creates a real natural mood. I still see lots of detail including the eye in the darker half. Just crop it down a bit like the other one but leave a little more room in front of him.
    Good work, no need for much PP.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Rob, i like the original much better. I like it for the warm color and also the dark side of the face is fine, creates a real natural mood. I still see lots of detail including the eye in the darker half. Just crop it down a bit like the other one but leave a little more room in front of him.
    Good work, no need for much PP.
    Thanks for your comments Gary.....funny how my brain works...when I first saw the pic out of my camera I immediately thought on B&W....now that you mention it I´m beginning to see some other options that include color. I´m thinking on some de-saturation here and there...oh boy endless possibilities...thank you Adobe!.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

I Like portraits in natural light, sometimes being able to see part of the face gives the photo a lot more punch

is the face on the right side a bit blown ?

I like the crop of the B&W version

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m
    I Like portraits in natural light, sometimes being able to see part of the face gives the photo a lot more punch

is the face on the right side a bit blown ?

I like the crop of the B&W version
    Thanks Armando. The face fortunately is not blown, just a small portion of the hair on that side...thanks to the cloning it was easily solved.
    Yeap the crop from the B&W suit well IMO, Though I will make some other alternatives with a color version.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Wow, I like the color one, too. When I said off-center, I meant maybe a crop off the right side so that his face is out of the center and at the 2/3 line would work better. I do like the light on the chair (especially as it shows in the color one) but I don't know that the photo is better because the chair is there.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRob
    By adding blinds to the top you'll only manage to get his eyes more in the center. I think you'd want to crop it to get him out of the horizontal center.

Also, increasing the shadows would help a lot.

Otherwise, it's a nice portrait and a nice use of available light.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

I love the color, crop with the natural light. I have a feeling this photo makes you smile too so that makes it right there. The color shows more texture (especially in his sweater) and that always appeals to me. So, I like!

Spot on Lori, and that's my favorite sweater too

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRob
    Sideways I can give it a little more room...maybe more space to the right?
    I have changed my mind and don't think you should crop at all.
    I think it is perfect as is.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Excellent! I love the color version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information