Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Rhode Island Beach B&W

Here's a few beach scenes I took today. I was in a black and white mood due to the stormy weather we've been having this weekend. These were taken a few hours after the rain finally stopped around here. The waves were very strong, and I thought that these might make make nice black and white photographs.

Please be aware that these shots are rough drafts, and I am editing these from non-detailed web-copies since I'm at work and the originals are at home on my computer, but I was wondering what you thought of the composure of these shots? Do they work?

Comments are welcome.

Thanks...Nate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rhode Island Beach B&W-beach.jpg   Rhode Island Beach B&W-beach2.jpg   Rhode Island Beach B&W-beach3.jpg  
    Last edited by natefromri; 05-01-2005 at 07:14 PM.

Re: Rhode Island Beach B&W

Dear Nate,

The first thing I would do, is do a curves adjustment. After that, a small contrast adjustment. Your pictures aren't quite conveying the storny nature of the weather, so I would try to emphasize this. As for composition, there is not too much in the way of interest. That is why I would work on the contrast first. Then see what it looks like. Good ideas.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

I feel your first shot is the strongest and a good one at that. The inclusion of the fence in the fg is a plus, although i think I would crop a bit off the bottom. What makes it really stand above the rest is the breaking wave, and the dramatic sky. The other shots have nothing to offer, imo. Great image , that first one.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Hello nate
    I like beach shots very much. The first is the best. The fence is good but overall it is let down by the messy growth around it. A little added interest would have been nice also but of course not always possible. Theres a great wave there and only needs a little adjustment to give it and the sky a little more punch.
    The other two, variations really on the first do not work as well.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Hi Nate

Maybe if you had tried to shoot the fence against the horizon. That is the first shot I would have taken as I'm very into lines and angles. Set up your horizon and then take a shot of the fence as perpendicular as possible to the horizon. Sand, sea and fence, no mess bush... unless of course, it could offer a 'neat' bottom layer. Can you picture what I'm trying to say?

Thread Information