Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red path

red path

Re: red path

If at first..etc.

In critiquing another path photo, I indicated that there had to be particular visual interest such as coloured leaves, hill, curve, etc. to make it work. In this case, I have bright greens from the wet island climate in the St. Lawrence, the red from the iron oxide in the soil and the obvious lead of the path into the photo. However, despite the visual interest, this still would not meet the pro standard for composition in scenic/nature photography.

Comments? (and needless to say, feel free to edit etc.)

Ronnoco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red path-cheminvert.jpg  

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

The path leads the eye straight down the center of the image leaving some dead space. But holy moses I have to come visit you someday. We just don't have color like that here in So. Cal. That would have been a perfect shot for my class assignment.

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy all of your shots!

GB1

I agree that it's a nice color combination (red and green are complimentary colors, actually..). But it also seems to be missing something. That's Ok though, the photo could be just that: perhaps it could be named "Wanting" or "Searching", something to emphasize its vacantness.

Here's a slight crop.. I also sharpened it a little (not sure if you left it soft to create an effect?)

GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red path-cheminvert_crop1.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    The path leads the eye straight down the center of the image leaving some dead space. But holy moses I have to come visit you someday. We just don't have color like that here in So. Cal. That would have been a perfect shot for my class assignment.

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy all of your shots!
    Thanks Canuck, I picked up a very advanced book on colour by the Adobe publishers and it had some great tips. Some of the basics were shooting for colour and with a keen eye ensuring that the colour you see, is the colour that appears in your photo. The point they make is that the eye sees a greater range of colour and detail than the photo and there is a balance between compensating for this discrepancy and keeping it looking natural.
    My personal preference is shooting for colour and if necessary using Photoshop to take out items that interfere in the background and to lighten up dark areas.

Ronnoco

Sometimes simple is good. I like the way the path curves up at the end and has a light at the end of the tunnel effect. It makes you wonder what's at the end of the path. I like the colors too. What's the book you have?

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I agree that it's a nice color combination (red and green are complimentary colors, actually..). But it also seems to be missing something. That's Ok though, the photo could be just that: perhaps it could be named "Wanting" or "Searching", something to emphasize its vacantness.

Here's a slight crop.. I also sharpened it a little (not sure if you left it soft to create an effect?)

GB
    As to sharpening, I usually got comments about "over-sharpening" in the past, so I actually softened this one a little, not knowing what others were seeing on their monitors.

You nailed the composition problem right on. Paths...as in roads, rivers, creeks, ditches, etc. are ideal for leading the eye into the frame toward the centre of interest. The point however is that there needs to be a strong vertical: object, person, animal etc. in the perfect location on the road, in the river, creek, ditch etc.to provide the appropriate and necessary visual impact to the overall shot.

Ronnoco

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    As to sharpening, I usually got comments about "over-sharpening" in the past, so I actually softened this one a little, not knowing what others were seeing on their monitors.

You nailed the composition problem right on. Paths...as in roads, rivers, creeks, ditches, etc. are ideal for leading the eye into the frame toward the centre of interest. The point however is that there needs to be a strong vertical: object, person, animal etc. in the perfect location on the road, in the river, creek, ditch etc.to provide the appropriate and necessary visual impact to the overall shot.

Ronnoco
    Yep, if there was a deer there at the end of the path, that would have been excellant.

I have not noticed over-sharpening on your images. Most of the PR folks have been there/done that, learned their lesson... Don from Winnipeg is the biggest offender... he shall learn to curb his heathen ways.
    GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'm no where near the expert you are, sir, but if I may, I would have got closer or zoomed in on that curve at the end and waited for that bright spot to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Sometimes simple is good. I like the way the path curves up at the end and has a light at the end of the tunnel effect. It makes you wonder what's at the end of the path. I like the colors too. What's the book you have?
    Thanks Greg, the book is called :"Colour Correction for Digital Photographers Only" by Ted Padova and Don Mason.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I'm no where near the expert you are, sir, but if I may, I would have got closer or zoomed in on that curve at the end and waited for that bright spot to disappear.
    Good point and always worthwhile considering other angles and viewpoints for shooting.
    I guess I was rushing to avoid getting people I did not want on the trail in the photo.

Ronnoco

As in your other image I just commented on - like a simpleton drawn to a bright light, you are drawn to this "red". Centered, lifeless and unimaginative image.

Tuna

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Besides the contrasting red and green this image has no centre of interest to hold the viewer's eye...

Jurgen
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Quote Originally Posted by yogestee
    Besides the contrasting red and green this image has no centre of interest to hold the viewer's eye...

Jurgen
    I believe that was already thoroughly covered back a ways in the discussion by GB.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna
    As in your other image I just commented on - like a simpleton drawn to a bright light, you are drawn to this "red". Centered, lifeless and unimaginative image.

Tuna
    I am drawn by colour, which is natural. You seem obsessed with black and white, which is unnatural. Who is the simpleton? Depends on your perspective.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    I am drawn by colour, which is natural. You seem obsessed with black and white, which is unnatural. Who is the simpleton? Depends on your perspective.

Ronnoco
    I know YOU are but what am I?

Tuna

I like black & white and color......Am I weird then?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna
    I know YOU are but what am I?

Tuna
    Childish comes to mind, if you are still using that old, archaic line from Grade 1!

Ronnoco

I like black & white and color......Am I weird then?
    Well, would you prefer "weird" or "old"? My mother never used black and white in her photographic career, which means, perhaps you are older than my mother.

Ronnoco

Wink Re: red path

Is your mother over 60?

Ronnoco - in a previous critique I read today you slammed me for poor work - if this is your best then I can be proud of my shoddy photos.

Now where can I see some of your perfect photos or is this it. I ask for the last time for you to present your award winning photos.

Oh; and why do many of the true professionals today still use B&W even for landscapes. And they all state that B&W is harder than colour.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

It used to be that only black and white was real art. The main issue with color was that it was very difficult to make an image with great color that would last. This is no longer true. I myself am a 'weirdo' and enjoy both mediums.

Instead of being rude to each other lets just understand where other people are coming from and move on. If someone makes a rude comment why don't we just ignore it instead of feeding the flame.

I've seen some nice images from Ronocco in the past. It does not matter though. Just because someone takes a good picture does not mean they understand aesthetic and technical qualites of a photograph (or vice versa).

Canuck

I totally agree and appologise unreservedly - I will not take the bait again.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Is your mother over 60?
    I was teasing you, but I am proud of my mother who started with a twin lens reflex and I believe Kodachrome II at ASA 25 shooting colour slides in the early 1950's. By the way, the colour slides still retain their original colour with no fading.

Ronnoco

....Ummm....in general I would pass on commenting on pictures that I think people have praised undeservedly, but since you like to be completely honest when critiquing other peoples' work, I'll extend that same courtesy.

In looking at your photograph, the first thing that came to my mind was: Is this a test shot? Nothing in the photo peaks my interest in the least. I've read praise on the color and how nice it is. Am I missing something? Where does anyone see gorgeous color? It's bland and lifeless. Your focal point should be one of interest, there is nothing interesting about yours. It seems you have not conformed to even your expectations of what a path photo should be. Perhaps you should re-read your critiques to better understand what you should be striving for.

Black and white photography has just as much merit as color photography. There's nothing wrong with people experimenting with either, or choosing to solely use one or the other. To think otherwise is just insane. It's like saying charcoal drawings aren't as good as colored charcoal drawings. Each is valued for different reasons. You're not an artist in photography or drawing, (I assume) so I can see how this point might elude you. And really, there's probably no point in trying to explain this to someone as close minded as yourself. It's a shame though, because you're missing out on enjoying some truly beautiful pictures. Tuna's work would fit into this category. I'm sure this is why you have such a hard time appreciating it.

Oh, and it never ceases to amuse me when childish people call other people childish as an argument tactic. Too funny!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information