Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: red path

Re: red path

Well now, this is interesting.

"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." ~Leo Tolstoy

Speaking for myself, I like the contrast in colors. The red path offsets the greens of the trees. I can see the need however, for a foreground or background object.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by molaselake
    ....Ummm....in general I would pass on commenting on pictures that I think people have praised undeservedly, but since you like to be completely honest when critiquing other peoples' work, I'll extend that same courtesy.

In looking at your photograph, the first thing that came to my mind was: Is this a test shot? Nothing in the photo peaks my interest in the least. I've read praise on the color and how nice it is. Am I missing something? Where does anyone see gorgeous color? It's bland and lifeless. Your focal point should be one of interest, there is nothing interesting about yours. It seems you have not conformed to even your expectations of what a path photo should be. Perhaps you should re-read your critiques to better understand what you should be striving for.

Black and white photography has just as much merit as color photography. There's nothing wrong with people experimenting with either, or choosing to solely use one or the other. To think otherwise is just insane. It's like saying charcoal drawings aren't as good as colored charcoal drawings. Each is valued for different reasons. You're not an artist in photography or drawing, (I assume) so I can see how this point might elude you. And really, there's probably no point in trying to explain this to someone as close minded as yourself. It's a shame though, because you're missing out on enjoying some truly beautiful pictures. Tuna's work would fit into this category. I'm sure this is why you have such a hard time appreciating it.

Oh, and it never ceases to amuse me when childish people call other people childish as an argument tactic. Too funny!
    I see! :idea: You are really not logically or compositionally or technically commenting on my work at all. You are just taking an emotional position of supporting Tuna. I don't think this is the place to get emotional and hurl "close-minded" characterizations at me.

You seem to be saying that colour is bland and lifeless but with the implication that black and white is beautiful, in Tina's work and yours, I assume. Well "À chacun, son goût!" to fall back to my French, but I can't say that I can even begin to understand that point of view or see it as reasonable.
    The only black and white that I have seen that is even close to being considered beautiful is work that has such a considerable tonal range that one has to look twice to make sure it is not colour.
    That has not happened here, at least not yet!! Even then, it would often still be better in colour.

Why don't we all stick to the less personal area and comments (free of characterizations) strictly related to critique, composition and technique of the photos in question? Then perhaps the less emotional photographers who really want to learn something would gain from this forum.

Ronnoco
    Last edited by Ronnoco; 10-28-2006 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Copy_Kot
    Well now, this is interesting.

"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." ~Leo Tolstoy
    Love your smiley, but related to your quote, I prefer a little more modern Russian Literature and Zamyatin rather than Tolstoy who is less emotional about his craft.

Ronnoco

ALL modern literature..... um...... sucks!

I'd rather read Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Kuprin, or Hemingway (fav American writer) any day!

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Ronnoco - in a previous critique I read today you slammed me for poor work - if this is your best then I can be proud of my shoddy photos. Roger
    The TRUTH WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!

I criticized the standards that you used to critique someone else's work and made no reference to your work whatsoever.

You can certainly NOT be proud of your shoddy approach to accuracy!

Ronnoco

ALL modern literature..... um...... sucks!

I'd rather read Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Kuprin, or Hemingway (fav American writer) any day!
    I am positive that you have NOT read enough modern literature to make such a generalization.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    I am positive that you have NOT read enough modern literature to make such a generalization.

Ronnoco
    LOL. "Beauty is in... blah, blah, blah." Be it photography, literature, etc.

This thread is very interesting and, it isn't because of the childish arguments (I'm thinking about what appeals to some people and not others, which isn't a comment on the picture you posted). Getting back to the original picture, I really don't see anything wrong with it except what a few others have mentioned about the curve in the path.

LOL. "Beauty is in... blah, blah, blah." Be it photography, literature, etc.

This thread is very interesting and, it isn't because of the childish arguments (I'm thinking about what appeals to some people and not others, which isn't a comment on the picture you posted). Getting back to the original picture, I really don't see anything wrong with it except what a few others have mentioned about the curve in the path.
    Actually, I only posted it, because I commented on another path shot and indicated that more interest was needed. I was just trying to suggest that colour contrast and the curve for that matter added some interest. I also pointed out way at the beginning that despite this, it still did not meet the standards of a great shot. It certainly engendered some emotionalism but not too many ideas.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    I see! :idea: You are really not logically or compositionally or technically commenting on my work at all. You are just taking an emotional position of supporting Tuna. I don't think this is the place to get emotional and hurl "close-minded" characterizations at me.

You seem to be saying that colour is bland and lifeless but with the implication that black and white is beautiful, in Tina's work and yours, I assume. Well "À chacun, son goût!" to fall back to my French, but I can't say that I can even begin to understand that point of view or see it as reasonable.
    The only black and white that I have seen that is even close to being considered beautiful is work that has such a considerable tonal range that one has to look twice to make sure it is not colour.
    That has not happened here, at least not yet!! Even then, it would often still be better in colour.

Why don't we all stick to the less personal area and comments (free of characterizations) strictly related to critique, composition and technique of the photos in question? Then perhaps the less emotional photographers who really want to learn something would gain from this forum.

Ronnoco
    Perhaps you failed to read what I wrote. Laymen's terms: your photograph is boring. It's boring because compositionally, it fails to bring anything unique to the table. Not only that, but the colors are muted. I support Tuna's work because I (and I'm certainly not alone here) find the majority of it above average. I wasn't hurling characterizations at you, I was stating a fact. You're close minded. Everyone here knows that. That's certainly not anything new, and to be honest I'm surprised you're so taken aback. Photography IS personal to most people, which is why it elicits such an emotional response.

GOOD color photography is NOT bland and lifeless. The bland lifelessness I was referring to was in your own work. I have seen some gorgeous color photos on this site. Just recently, I was looking at Benas' dragonfly piece and was blown away by the color palette. I can and do appreciate color. I certainly couldn't be a painter if I felt otherwise.

I wasn't aware you were here to learn anything. In all the posts I have read from you, I haven't once read anything that would indicate that you feel you are anything less than a photographic genius. What this particular post does scream, however, is hypocrite. Loudly, and unabashedly. How many times have you visited a thread and critiqued ANOTHER CRITIQUE rather than the work itself? How does this help the posting photographer? The people critiquing are not asking for your help, nor do they need it to merely state an opinion. A "mature" individual would write the fluff critique off and contribute something worthwhile instead. However, arrogance is obviously something you hold very dear to you and if you can find a way to belittle someone, you jump at the chance. Am I telling you anything new?

You may feel free to write my critique off as an emotional explosion. If I had never read anything you had written or seen any other photograph from you, I would still feel the same about this particular picture.

Anyway, I'm done. I've fulfilled my urge to argue and now I'm moving on.

Oh, and since we're employing the use of foreign langauges, I'd just like to say "baja gordita".

Quote Originally Posted by molaselake
    ....Ummm....in general I would pass on commenting on pictures that I think people have praised undeservedly, but since you like to be completely honest when critiquing other peoples' work, I'll extend that same courtesy.

In looking at your photograph, the first thing that came to my mind was: Is this a test shot? Nothing in the photo peaks my interest in the least. I've read praise on the color and how nice it is. Am I missing something? Where does anyone see gorgeous color? It's bland and lifeless. Your focal point should be one of interest, there is nothing interesting about yours. It seems you have not conformed to even your expectations of what a path photo should be. Perhaps you should re-read your critiques to better understand what you should be striving for.

Black and white photography has just as much merit as color photography. There's nothing wrong with people experimenting with either, or choosing to solely use one or the other. To think otherwise is just insane. It's like saying charcoal drawings aren't as good as colored charcoal drawings. Each is valued for different reasons. You're not an artist in photography or drawing, (I assume) so I can see how this point might elude you. And really, there's probably no point in trying to explain this to someone as close minded as yourself. It's a shame though, because you're missing out on enjoying some truly beautiful pictures. Tuna's work would fit into this category. I'm sure this is why you have such a hard time appreciating it.

Oh, and it never ceases to amuse me when childish people call other people childish as an argument tactic. Too funny!
    Mature a bit. Gain more experience in all areas of photography. Look at a lot more work in all areas. Try some drawing and computer art. Teach art, photography, and television production as well as doing it and then you MAY gain a little perspective on my views and treat them with less emotionalism. You also might read a bit more carefully and not put words in my mouth or assign attitudes to me.

Ronnoco

I've actually done a lot of drawing. I've attached a few in case you're curious. They are by no means my best work, and the camera I took them with was less than one megapixel, but I think you get the point.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information