Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Question A recent one from me. The most difficult photograph I have ever done...

I was on a ride recently on a trail that begins with a walk up a road then a hike up a ski hill all while pushing a 45 + LBS bike. Which is what makes it so challenging to get photographs on this trail.

I shot it at about 7PM ish, with my strobe off the camera connected with my SC-17. The camera was in my right hand and the strobe in my left. The branches are from the tree I was leaning against. I zoomed the strobe in to 35mm so I wouldn't light up the whole scene.

What do you think?
    Brian

My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I think the shot works really well. Dusk is an interesting time to shoot color as the sky appears bluer and darker than it really is. There appears to be some glare or something at the top of the image. It doesn't really bother me but I might consider just cropping the top 5 % or so to eliminate it. Otherwise it is very well composed and exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I was on a ride recently on a trail that begins with a walk up a road then a hike up a ski hill all while pushing a 45 + LBS bike. Which is what makes it so challenging to get photographs on this trail.

I shot it at about 7PM ish, with my strobe off the camera connected with my SC-17. The camera was in my right hand and the strobe in my left. The branches are from the tree I was leaning against. I zoomed the strobe in to 35mm so I wouldn't light up the whole scene.

What do you think?
    Brian
    I think it's a dynamite shot and well worth the work you did getting it! If you could do something about those two little green branches it would be even better.
    Kit

I can't disagree, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Widen
    It doesn't really bother me but I might consider just cropping the top 5 % or so to eliminate it. Otherwise it is very well composed and exposed.
    I can't disagree with you about that Gerry, but if I cropped that, I would loose the tops of the trees, which was what I was going for.
    Thanks for checking it out!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

It's a beauty.

What I'd really like to see is a huge, poster-sized version of the shot... that would capture the scale of those trees and maximise the impact of the image.

That little picture on my monitor just doesn't do the photo justice - it's crying out to be big, big, BIG!
    Sport in Essex in Pictures
    <a href="http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk"><strong>www.tgsphoto.co.uk</strong></a>

Brian,

I think you are way on the right track! Just acouple of nitpicks keep this from being excellent in my book. The hihglights near the top of the image, and that the rider gets lost a bit in the busy area behind him. I think a burn-in of the branches on top might help instead of a crop, and moving the rider to the left of moving yourself to the left to position him in the clearing between the trees would have helped.

I really like where you were going with this.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Yeah Burn It Baby!

Thanks Seb!
    I should have thought of burning in the branches!
    DUH!
    I'll have to do that when I get home!

Thanks for the comments GMen!

Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

as a mountain biker, i relate to this (fun stuff!) and as a photographer, i think you captured the freeriding well.

one nit-pick: it seems his right arm is getting lost with the dark trees behind it. is this just from the small photo (or my monitor)? or maybe bump-up some constrast in this area to get his right arm more visually strong? likewise, can't tell about the bike frame--are the vertical trees competing with the tubes of the bike frame?

again, nit-pick aside, great capture of the moment.

Question Reworked It!

I reworked this image a bit.
    Better?
    Brian

高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Yes! Better color and the distracting branches are gone.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Better?
    Brian
    Much nicer. I like the feeling of height of the trees in the shot - I'm glad the tops are included. This is one of the strongest MTB pictures I (as a non biker) have seen.

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar
    Better?
    Brian

You did a great job in retouching this photograph. I particularly like the yellow (bottow right) vs. the blue (top left) contrast. It adds quite a bit of dynamism to the pic. while bringing the viewer attention on the biker.

This definitely merits a BIG blow up print!

Cheers,

Steph.

Talking Beeeautiful Shot!

Better?
    Brian

Great shot Brian! Reworking those two branches that the flash lit up definitley helped. Great setup, awesome thinking through the shot, and damn near perfect execution!

Tough time of day to pull off a shot like this, and you did a superb job.

Pat yourself on the back for a job well done my Nikon Samurai!

PS - I like the tree tops too!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

This is a great shot, I would agree. What makes it so effective is the tops of the trees in the frame lending to the dynamic feel of the composition. I would agree with what Sebastian had stated, and the burning in of the branches on top helped. Something else just bothers me a bit here and that is the "flash lit" look of the wooden structure the rider is jumping over.Perhaps burning in a little there as well just to give a more "naturally lit" feel to it. But this shot is definetely a blow up candidate
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information