Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Rappers

Rappers

Looking for C+C on photos taken of some Minneapolis based rappers. They go by the name, 'Savage'
    This was shot on an AE-1

Re: Rappers

I am no portrait expert ...but first off: much better if you focus on one image at a time. That way the responses will be for that specific image. I think, in general the single flash fired so close seems to cast a very strong shadow on the white wall behind the subject. Try getting the subject more forward and consider using a diffuser to scatter the light so it can be less harsh. I think the one with the smoke has most potential.

I think llewpics is right on target with his comments. The first thing I noticed were the harsh shadows on the wall. Like he said, move them away from the wall and you'll soften up those shadows. You could also try using a flash bracket that puts the flash higher and moves the shadows down behind the subject - that's a standard portrait photography trick. Add a diffuser and you should be able to eliminate the shadow completely.

Content-wise, I feel like you don't really have any focus. Honestly, these don't say much to me at all about what these guys stand for. If anything, they're just stereotypical street thug photos. I would suggest starting over and trying to better understand what message you and they want to convey with these photos. I'd sit down with them and a pad of paper and take a bunch of notes on what they want people to see in these photos. Then start talking about locations, poses, props, etc. I think that fresh start and re-envisioning the project will give you more focused, stronger images.

I hope that helps. And I definitely want to see what you get on the re-shoot
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I agree the flash use makes them too snapshot-ish.
    Either go off camera with the flash with a diffuser and/or use a faster lens (or setting if you were stopped down) to blur the background and focus on the person.

Okay I really like the second one, and I think it would be even more impactful in black and white. And I also really like the 4th one but I agree with the comments about it looking to "flashed". The last one I am not really a fan of. I think it's because of the angle that his head is at, I think if he was looking down more and the camera angle was lower it would be better. For some reason the last one just makes me uncomfortable, again I think it's the angle of his face. But either way I am just one opinion. I overall think you did a nice job, just maybe work on the flash, unless that is the look you were going for.

Oh and I disagree with the shadows on the wall comment. I like the harsh shadows, I think for what this shoot was for, they are appropriate. I would not do that for a teen girls senior photos, but for a more urban gritty look, I like it. But I do agree with the lack of focus. There is not much to let me know who these guys are. Maybe they are guys you saw hanging out at the corner store? Who knows. I would like more of a story I guess.

Thread Information