Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Improvised path

Improvised path

The sorry state of Lake Chapala .... Water level is down about 1.5M from last year ...
    There use to be tons of birds easily photographed, now there is plenty of mosquitoes
    now there is the pea soup like muddy mess

oh well ... the dams up river need to get full before more water is released into the lake ... the good news is that there has been lots of rain , I'm hoping water level comes back up soon

get up at 6am on sunday, drive 1 hr and leave the photo site 15 mins later ... to get to ... next photo

Comments or critiques on this image ?

Re: Improvised path

The image makes me want to explore the area. I wish I was there to just take it all in. The exposure is good even with the little light you had left. I like that you didn't divide the shot 50/50 with the horizon.

The wooden path is touching the lower frame of the the photo. Maybe it would be better if it weren't. A big maybe...
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Thanks for looking and taking the time to reply

I have a bad tendency to leave things right on the edge of the frame, this time the wooden path, other times is a toe, an elbow, and I cringe when I see it in the computer, then the next shooting I forget to give me a wee bit more space ...

I think you took a great moment shot, meaning that the light elements enhance your intended vision. The diagonal line is spot on. I really like the position of the sun and the colors in the sky and the reflected colors as well. If anything, crop the bottom portion so that the diagonal line (pier) extends out of the frame.
    But, ultimately, a pretty powerful environment shot.

Beautiful shot. I would try cropping it on the left hand side more. I tend to like to have the diagonal lines coming out of or into corners. Doesn't always work though and the composition seems pretty balanced to me.

I agree with arne, maybe crop up a bit to extend the pier out of the shot, it gives a sense of "I wonder how long the pier was". Other than that I think this is great, I love seeing the beauty in the damaged. Very well done!

Thread Information