Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Two more London b&w shots...

Does anyone else find they have rollercoaster feelings about their photography, one minute being fairly happy with shots, and the next thinking "Who am trying to kid..."?

No? Maybe its just me then!

Anyway, here are a couple more I've taken over the last couple of days. The first is Senate House, University College London (UCL), the second is fairly long exposure at a crossroads on St Martin's Lane I think. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or criticism welcome as always.

Thanks for looking

matt

Re: Two more London b&w shots...

Hi Matt,
    I know what you are talking. I think we (may be I) all have the same rollercoaster feeling in oyr daily lives such as work, family relationship, values of life.... The feeling can be good if we can reevaluation things happening around. Back to the photo, I think shot 1 is a bit bland and needs a vantage point.
    All the best.
    yoyo

Interesting shots. Black and white both works well for the, but I like the second one. It has some action and a good tone.

Nice shooting,

Jared

Hello Matt
    While shot one may lack interest I think you got it extremely well in the B/W.
    I think the second one needs a little more also say like somebody crossing the road midst the confusion. But still well captured.
    I also do a lot of London walking at and its a great way to see the place.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Thanks for the comments.

I love the modernist style of architecture at Senate House so I was looking for a shot that conveyed what an imposing and solid looking building it is. At the same time I liked the rather shostly appearance in black and white, and thought this concentrated on the patterns made by the windows. Quite why I took this hand-held at ISO100 in the middle of the night though I don't know!

Interestingly you will soon be seeing Senate House on the big screen in the new Batman Begins film, apparently the exterior is being used as a Gotham City location.

With the second shot, I think a bit of human interest would have helped, but it is tough with a long exposure to get a person in there without them being a meaningless blur as they move around. I need someone wearing light coloured clothes who doesn't jiggle about too much while they are waiting to cross!

Regards,

matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattp

Interestingly you will soon be seeing Senate House on the big screen in the new Batman Begins film, apparently the exterior is being used as a Gotham City location.
    it's funny you should say that as that was one of the reasons i liked this shot. for me it looked very 'gothamcityesque'. Very imposing and dark.

The second one i'm not a big fan of. I like streaks on long exposure shots to be in colour unless there are very clear silhouettes involved, or a strong background. It's pretty impressive as a handheld shot though.

regards

chris
    "Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement"

Nikon Samurai #16

Dear Matt,

Course I do! Whether it it frustration with my equipment, film, my lack of a light meter, etc. Or sometimes it is just frustration over my developing composition skills. My own roller coaster as you can tell. Anyways, on to the pictures...

I really like number one, especially the lighting. The black and white emphasizes the moody lighting. Gothamesque is a good way to put it. Very nice.

Number two is alright, but I think it might have been better if you had included more of the building on the other side of the street. It would have provided an interesting element in the picture. Good work.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Thread Information