Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

A quick break from Smokies pics

I was trying to emulate a shot I saw before from a professional equestrian photographer, where she shot from behind at an angle to get the rider's leg and the horse's head. I didn't quite have the right angle here to get the same shot.

Would this one be better if I tried to crop it so the rider's arm is out of the shot?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I took it in Photoshop and cropped it without the arm, but suddenly it made it a "horse and a leg" shot, which I didn't like. I like the whole idea behind the shot and I do think that you need more than just a leg to make it work, so my advice would be; keep the arm ;)

Hi,
    I like the idea and agree that the shot is not strong due to the angle of view. I notice that the colour combination is a bit muted. Would you consider reshoot and focus on the colours in addtiion to the angle of view?
    All the best.
    yoyo

CaraRose, I agree with the above. I think it terms of composition you get what you are looking for leaving the arm in, my problem is more with colour, it doesn't seem vibrante enough. I like it when the horse looks shiny even !!... it also looks like you were shooting on a cloudy day.. right?
    Opinions I got lots, expertise none!! Hmm… except for giving opinions!!

Thanks everyone...

If I recall, it was overcast that day. A bunch of the Clifden (my barn) children and juniors were riding outside and I didn't have anything to do for an hour, so I grabbed my camera and shot a bit.

I tried to increase saturation to make the colors come out a bit, but it made Mojo (the horse) look way too red. I must say though, don't think he would have come out shiny no matter what in this picture, he was losing the end of his winter coat and was as dull as could be. Some of the horses were just refusing to shed out nicely this year, probably because the weather's been so wacky.

Thanks to everyone, I'm going to keep trying this sort of shot and see if I can't get it better. I haven't brought my camera to the barn for a few weeks, so I'm going to get my gear together again this weekend and drag it with when I work Sunday.

Thread Information